• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

tera-byte and subdomains ?!

akersche

hi,
does anybody here ever tried to get subdomains with a regular account at tera-byte with a unique ip?
should it be possible with a script?
greetings arno
ps: already asked for a working script in cgi-forum, but not sure if that would work on tera-byte.

thanks. that's a great news!

just need to find a good script and get it working...
hope someone answers my thread in cgi... cause i asked there more details

Also you can try hotscripts.com, but with subdomains, this can be a problem for many non cpanel hosts. There is another way to create a subdomain by using a static ip, you should contact tera-byte on this.

another ip... hm, sounds expensive.
but tera-byte also gives out virtual hosting plans without unique ip. so it should be possible...

what script would you recommend me?
url-redirection for subdomains would be ok.
just for the the main domain it would be nice to keep it the way it is... (just that a script is stared and it's redirected to the main page).

i didn't code the script i tried... just downloaded it and modified (entered my subdomains)

great that you are responding that quick:)))

You don't need another IP unless you want another IP. These scripts work by wildcarding the domain and all subdomain.domain.com requests are directed by the script, not the server's httpd.conf file.

Well ensim creates a "real" subdomain which uses a IP, i am not familar with these scripts. Thanks for correcting me chicken ;)

Originally posted by Chicken
You don't need another IP unless you want another IP. These scripts work by wildcarding the domain and all subdomain.domain.com requests are directed by the script, not the server's httpd.conf file.

If you want to use these scripts with ensim or any other server, you don't want to actually create a subdomain on the server. Instead you just want to wildcard the main domain to an IP address and put this script in the web or http folder that the IP address resolves to, and set it so that it looks for index.cgi first (which is the script).

Thats a great idea chicken! you just saved me from using all my ips, arin.net these days are getting greedier with the ips :(

I will try it, does dns wildcards have to be setup?

Yep, dns wildcards. Another thing these scripts will do is save your httpd from being a complete disaster if you offer 'unlimited subdomains' not to mention your ensim admin CP (which I'm assuming lists every domain and subdomain separately). It does have one negative in that it is a cgi process, but using the script for subdomains should be fine, as opposed to using it as a url redirection service (which you'll most likely see some damage). The script would take care of directing just the domain (domain.com) and www.domain.com as well.

wow, great to see that the thread was going on:)

that's right, i think you just need to put a script in your web-folder and start as first page.

it's a good idea to create a file named
index.shtml
and call the script within that.
<html>
<body>
<!--#exec cgi="index.cgi" -->
</body>
</html>

or just "index.cgi" could be ok

depends what files are tried to call first.

But still, I didn't get a script working yet.
Although I got wildcards.

Chicken, could you recommend me a script?
How can cgi check, which subdomain a user wants to view?

as far as i can see one has to work with:

$ENV{'HTTP_HOST'}

BUT this environment variable allways shows my main url www.domain.com
even if i try www.domain1.com and point to the same ip.
and the same with subdomains like
subdomain.domain.com

is there a diffrent way to write a script...
perhaps something with referer.
the url in the navigation bar is also automatically changed to www.domain.com

looking forward for a solution.
thanks in advance
ARNO

just asked tera-byte:
subdomains are NOT availiable. and scripts won't work there.
one would need another hosting package for each subdomain :-(((

still don't get it....

hmmm... tera-byte is offering wildcards.

> > > and how many subdomains can i use? i just can host one
> > domain right?
One domain and subdomains are wildcarded to the main domain.

but on the other hand they now told me it's not possible to have subdomains.

strange...

Back