• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

T35 Removes Pop-up Ads

Always nice to hear from our former members :) I just had a pm from someone who used our hosting a decade ago. We're hopefully going to be here for many more decades to come :)

We got a very good contract for our 404 page (in the $8 CPM range). That along with the "hosted by t35" footer is enough to cover our current expenses.

Ah yes, I see there are other textlink ads on the bottom of T35 member pages that are by sponsored advertisers, not just an advertisement for T35. I guess you must be picking up the bandwidth pretty cheap if you can make a profit off just the textlink ads and the error 404 pages (my guess would be economies of scale due to your 400000+ free membership base). However, making loads of money off error 404 pages might scare away free members, as they may suspect their accounts could disappear at random, especially if they get a lot of traffic, which would then all go to your error 404's (ka-ching). That could be a way to turn a problem like warez sites into a positive, though, because you'd get a lot of traffic to those error 404's after you delete their accounts.

Last edited:
Cracker? Haven't seen you around here in a while.

Hey, Matt8. I do recall you replied to me in my last thread posted about two months ago ( http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2197376 ). I know this is off the topic of the thread, but I actually have gone through with making my new sounds website. I now have sound clips from 25 different movies ready to upload, but I'm still trying to decide where to host it (as, like I said, I'm going to pay for hosting this time around). I did consider T35's personal plan for $49.99/year, as I remember T35 free was the last (and best) free host my last website in the thread referred to in this post used before it got picked up by a South Park sites network, but now I'm thinking http://www.2wdhost.com/ and their "Pack One" plan for $24/year, since it has twice the disk space (and an additional GB of monthly traffic) and they claim they do not oversell (please correct me if that's wrong here), like those "300 GB disk space and 3 TB traffic" hosts do (I'm not dumb enough to fall for that, especially if I'm paying for hosting - the host will probably shut down and run off with my money once it cannot afford the bandwidth). For now, and I have never shown this link to anyone before, you can see what my website will look like at http://rpmswavs.50webs.com/ (this link will be dead once I get my site on a real pay host).

We've been offering it for over a decade though... no problems to report yet. Google is offering theoretically "unlimited" email space for gmail (it grows every day), has that been disastrous for google? I think you're lumping everyone into one group because of a few bad apples. We've been offering unlimited space/bandwidth longer than almost any host has been offering limited hosting.

Also, webfusion.co.uk offer unlimited reseller accounts and they work as a Pipex reseller. In addition, you can get dedicated lines that are unmetered but they tend to cost quite a bit.

I'm not disputing rules. I know why they're in place here and tbh over a certain amount with shared hosting is pointless as there would be no way to use 10TB of b/w in a minth without disrupting everyone elses accounts to a halt.

If you need more than 30GB in a month you need a decent little VPS imho.

The problem I have with unlimited is that it's more of a marketing gimmick then anything else. Let's assume that you have a lot of hd space, even though you're giving users unlimited space on a drive with finite space - you assume that users won't ever use more then say 100mb. And in most cases this is right, but if users should start filling that space up - you run into a problem.

BUT the biggest issue is still to come! Now let's assume that you really do have unlimited space and unlimited bandwidth :)eek3:), you're never going to let users get away with using 2tb of space, and 3tb of bandwidth a month. By the time they get to something like 10gb - all hosts of this nature are already getting ready to terminate the account (even if the files on the account are legal).

Why advertise something you're not really going to give? This isn't limited to just 'unlimited' offers, but there are hosts that claim to offer 100gb of bandwidth - but when users start to reach near 20-50gb the host gets ready to pull the plug on the account.

The main thing is that hosts right now are operating with the intention of never honoring their offers. If you're not willing to let users use 50gb, then don't offer 50gb. It's hilarious how much bandwidth and space some hosts are offering with the assumption that they'll never have to actually dish out that much resources - the probability is your favor as a host, but it's honestly just blatant false advertising to do this. [/rant]

Yeah, I remember reading somewhere that someone hosted a website on an unlimited pay host and then had his host go down because someone else tried to run a Youtube clone on it. Unlimited or extreme hosts usually have other restrictions to prevent users from using too much space and bandwidth, and if they don't, they will not last long.

Back