• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Starting your own web design company...

anhedonia

I'm on a boat
NLC
I am considering making my own web design company, just something small for now to see how it goes. I am currently building the website, and am wondering exactly what content absolutely has to be on there. The basics I know should be there are the following:

> Examples/Portfolio/Clients
> Pricing
> Contact Info
> Services Offered

One of the (minor) problems I find I'm faced with immediately is this: I haven't maintained a website for a long period of time recently. I have been experimenting with new things, and making layouts that never get used, but nothing has been created, put online, and maintained continuously except for my personal blog, which is very basic and personal anyway, so not very suitable I don't think. So for the examples/portfolio section, is it okay to just include nicely-presented screenshots of layouts I have created and not used, do you think?

And also, what are the best methods of being paid online, such as PayPal? Is PayPal the best service, or are there others which are better?

What else should I know? I'm guessing there will be at least a few people here who have done this, hopefully you can give me some advice!!! :)

Thanks for your time, I'm sure as I work on this, I will think of more questions to ask. :)

Originally posted by anhedonia
What else should I know? I'm guessing there will be at least a few people here who have done this, hopefully you can give me some advice!!! :)
You will also need patience, ability to speak in sesame street language and a crystal ball which might help you to figure out what they have in their mind when they ask you to design a site. Oh and the ability to know where they they keep the photos, graphics etc that they want on their site :chinese2:

lol...great! :p

I'm used to explaining things very slo-o-o-wly and basically, have had heaps of friends/teachers ask me stuff they just have no idea about, hehe. I might have to buy the crystal ball though. :p

I suggest making a few free websites first to fill your portfolio. If people like what they see they will hire you. Second thing, don't put prices up. Each project is individual therefore deserves its own quote. People who price by graphic and pages and just kidding themselves. You will need to go looking for projects, www.webhostingtalk.com is a good place to post your templates. Because design sites don't normally get that much traffic. Act professional, don't over estimate what you can do and be honest.

Well good luck, i hope my ideas have influenced you.

Re: Re: Starting your own web design company...

Originally posted by Jan

You will also need patience, ability to speak in sesame street language and a crystal ball which might help you to figure out what they have in their mind when they ask you to design a site. Oh and the ability to know where they they keep the photos, graphics etc that they want on their site :chinese2:

You don't know how true that is... you do so much work, and then they go, "no, I meant like that" and you dont get what "that" is. Then they confuse the terminology. Very hard is the art of web designing for others.

Back