• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Starting my own hosting... price-quality... need you opinion

for 70$/mo I can buy dedicated server with 60GIG of space & 1000GIG traffic...

so? your 10GIG - ok good... but transfer - lol! it's not GOOD!

I know how to use WHM! I know how to use help in advance if so...

Decker said:
Yep agree again but looks like he's went for it already :( OMG so really at that point it's useless even suggesting as it could take months to get a proper site up with all the twiddles. If you like VH it's sort of horse bolted door closed or chicken and egg stuff.

http://nocster.com/closeout.shtml

i'm looking at this... for now.... your suggestion?

about site & other..... already testing & fillin' content.....

Last edited:
For $70 you get a lousy celeron server (loses to Pentium 3 1 Ghz or AMDs).
And it will be hard to get clients with such specs.
I would recommend a at least a P4 2.8 and for bandwidth I suggest 10mbps so you can offer a high bandwidth with your plan and not charge too expensive. Maybe it will total out to $400 a month buy hey if you manage it properly then it will work out.
Plans to be offered:
1GB space
50GB+ bandwidth
Price $TBD

PS:My xtremesite is running on Dual Opterons.

IKSOH you still have a bit to learn - any server managed properly and not overloaded will perform well.
It's not all size (LOL) many smaller servers not overloaded will outperform one that is packed tight.
There is a lot to take into concern like background tasking running your own updating, hosting, reporting, etc scripts and you made a mistake on the performance of P3 & P4 CPU's

Superplayer all in I think get a reseller package and work up, too many things are very variable and your clients won't like that if it goes wrong. Please don't take offence but I think you have a good bit to learn before a dedicated server.

If you have to ask the admin tasks are too much - get a reseller and if anything falls over they'll take care of it, get used to shelling in and running scripts then get your own server.

Hope that tirade helped :biggrin2:

Decker I do not want to offend you but i compared a celeron to a P3 not a P4. Celerons running at 1.7 Ghz will lose out to a P3 1.1. It is because the long pipeline and the little cache slows the whole server down. You can read from various resources. And it is not about management of the server to overload it or not. It is about the client's perspective. A lot of clients chooses hosts with lots of CPU power (i dont know why) and leave out the lower hosts even if you explain about your management. You see humans are greedy creatures they want the best or the most in everything. They see which host has a faster server before choosing it. I think it is possibly due to the resource usage policy . Most hosts say if you use more than 10% of their server resources they will termiate your account. So make it this way:

10% of 2GHZ = 200Mhz
10% of Dual 2.4 opterons = 2 X 240Mhz (maybe higher because tasks are process simultaneously and the server still will handle it well)

And with a fast server you can update your software/ backup in the background and neednt take the server offline because the server will handle it perfectly fine.

Lastly my name spelt with an L not I.

Last edited:
lksoh, you must be misunderstanding. Decker is not talking about resource usage, he is talking about the management of a server. I have a couple servers with different specs. I don't cram them full to their hearts content because they come with 240gigs of HDD space. You manage the server due to what you think is best. If my server load goes over 3.00, I buy another server. No that is not 10%, its just making sure my clients get what they pay for, and that is speed and stability. I honestly think it is better to have 5 servers than 1 supreme server. Cause when that 1 server goes down, everyone goes down with it.

When hosts put up a 10% limit, that is because they are trying to cram everything on one server to scrimp on money. And for most hosts, it doesnt matter if you have a dual xeon or single 1.3 celeron, your still connecting to the same 10 or 100mbits connection. And I can have one site only on each of those servers and it will perform IDENTICAL because of the fact that most people don't surf using anything over a T1.

Apologies fo rthe misspelling.

VH is right, we recently 'closed' a server to any more clients being added, a quad P4 2.4G XEON, tweaked the amount of memory available to each Apache process, a bit of a clean up and some updates & kernel recompile.

Result - 2 e-mails in 2 days asking if an account had been moved to a faster server :D, no added RAM no hardware at all added, but still a better performing system.

Superplayer are you asking for reseller plan suggestions or for some offers of ...??

2.4 GHz Celeron?

Is that a good server? I think so when its not fully full .. Runs very fast compared to a full packed server!

Agree any server properly setup and maintained will run at max - and most don't hit any bottlenecks in CPU, RAM or disk net or anything else - as long as you don't try to load them to the point where performance degredation is definate.

I'd guarantee a real server wizz would make a server half the spec of another with a standard setup perform better :)

Remy Canad > no.... people opinion better...
Decker > i'm askin' for simple plans suggestion... but some offers - i can look 2....

ohh.... a long thread :D

SuperPlayer, you will be safe at a reseller package. For starting, if you dont have many customers, you should rent a reseller account. You will not to pay for the whole server, control it (which is usually bring you headache :D ). Keep your work simple. That's from my real experience :)

anyway, if you are looking for some offers, we have reseller accounts, VPS, dedicated servers, you can have a look and choose :) again, I suggest you stay with reseller account. let's know if you have any question

rgds,

Ok based on say our reseller plan 1 - http://www.ctrl-alt-deli.com/reseller.html

If you created accounts at say 50mb disk and 1 gig transfer at say $2/month then you cover the cost and allow investment in a second account to add to it so growing the business.

Multiple accounts could go along the lines of 100Mb account $3-50, 200Mb account $6 and so on.

Hope that helps :)

Back