• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Ssi . . .

Sikes

I was wondering what the heck SSI is. As far as I know, it is something to put in date and stuff like that.

The thing I'm interested in is the insert file thing. So if I were to make a whole new design I could just change the, let's say, the header and footer instead of changed every page.

I think this is SSI, but I'm not sure. I tried it on my MegabyteStored account and it didn't work. I did something along the lines of this :

Code:
[color=red]<!--#include file="header.html"-->[/color]

I fooled around with the file extension from html and shtml, but I doesn't work. Am I doing something wrong here?

I had a html page, put something like the code above, and it doesn't work, any idea's?

Thanx all!

Sikes

Yes, that's correct. You can also use virtual instead of file, i.e.:

<!--#include virtual="header.html"-->

The only difference is that file is the relative path in relation to the current directory, whereas virtual is the virtual path.

Three requirements: 1) The file needs to be named .shtml (usually) 2) Your host has to support SSI and 3) The file you're including has to exist (obviously).

SSI can be used to do many things. Here's a page I just dug up describing a bit about basic SSI. You can do more with extended SSI, I'll try to find something on it...

http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/docs/tutorials/includes.html#Format

I'm on the HTMLGoodies.com website looking at a SSI tutorial. I did a little "test" to see if the server has SSI enabled, and MegabyteStored doesn't. So I guess thats my problem! :biggrin2:

Alpha Lied! He said that MBS does have SSI enabled! ;)

The guy has a lot on his mind, so I'll et this time slip past ;)

Well thanx Dusty!

Sikes

You're doing something wrong Sikes. SSI workes just fine at megabytestored.

Back