• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

[Split] Questions about email accounts

teppi

unlimited pop3 email, but what's the size of it? don't tell me the email shares the same space with diskspace.

and also 5 mysql, does it share the space with diskspace?

Originally posted by teppi
unlimited pop3 email, but what's the size of it? don't tell me the email shares the same space with diskspace.

and also 5 mysql, does it share the space with diskspace?
It's that way for every host.. you get a certain amount of diskspace and then it's up to you what you use it for. Your raw logs, databases and storage for e-mail accounts all count towards it.
Just like most - that I know of anyway - hosts will count FTP and e-mail traffic towards your monthly transfer quota as well.

i don't think so. the one i'm using now allows me to open 10,000 email address (or unlimited), which each one is 10mb size. i did check it by opening 50 email =500 mb and send mail to them. database, raw logs also are separated from the disk space.

so, i think it's wiser to go with a specific amount of email address rather than "unilimited" which is suck.

ah, by the way what does it mean by "unlimited web space" in some other hosting ? can i upload my 2gb music library :D :(

Last edited:
ah, by the way what does it mean by "unlimited web space" in some other hosting ?

It means you should be fine to open 10,000 email accounts, each using 10mb in size. :)

Cheers

Gary

yeah, at least it's better than unlimited pop3 account but shares same disk space. say 250mb -> how many email accounts can i open? 50 email (10mb) is still ok???
of course, webmaster himself doesn't need that much, but say i have a forum and want to give my members a chance to own an email address with the forum domain name. what can i do now? go pay for bigmailbox.com . too much investment.

Last edited:
yeah, at least it's better than unlimited pop3 account but shares same disk space. say 250mb -> how many email accounts can i open? 50 email (10mb) is still ok???
of course, webmaster himself doesn't need that much, but say i have a forum and want to give my members a chance to own an email address with the forum domain name. what can i do now? go pay for bigmailbox.com . too much investment.

I don't follow. Are you saying you want to have space outside of your plan quota to create unlimited (or 10,000) mailboxes, for free?

Cheers

Gary

teppi, if you need a host, can you start a new thread please and outline exactly what you want? :)

sorry, my english is not good.
no. i'm not looking for a host, just asking for the meaning of "unlimited pop3 mail" or "unlimited diskspace". Editor offers a host with 250mb diskspace and unlimited pop3 mail.
how could it be? how big is an mail box?

editor: "I don't follow. Are you saying you want to have space outside of your plan quota to create unlimited (or 10,000) mailboxes, for free?"

but that's exactly what my hosting's offering. so far i've opened 50mail(10mb) but it doesn't count on to the plan quota(300mb) .

Last edited:
how big is an mail box?

As Jan said, this should probably go in to a new thread even if it's only a "for discussion" one. :)

But you said up above, that your host will provide you with 10,000 mailboxes at 10mb each. Are you saying that shouldn't count against the disk space for your plan?

Cheers

Gary

so far i've opened 50mail(10mb) but it doesn't count on to the plan quota(300mb) .

Do you think that's a viable business model though? What if everyone on that server tried to do the same?

Gary

but that's exactly what my hosting's offering. so far i've opened 50mail(10mb) but it doesn't count on to the plan quota(300mb) .
mailboxes don't take up any space until there's actually some mail in them so unless you sent a 10Mb attachment to each and every of the 500 mail accounts you wouldn't know if it counted towards your quota or not.

i did send some 2-3 mb files to them. the basic plan of my host has 50mb and 10 pop3 mail. i also tried it and it worked out alright.

anyway, just move on. forget this issue.

Back