• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

[Split from another thread] phpBB forum.

amz

b&
phpBB is the most popular board with our users
and we fully support it. Very good bulletin board system
and much more stable than a lot of others.

If not phpBB, my next recommendation would probably
be vBulletin.

Actually, there is no way that phpBB can even come close to what vB offers. What, in your opinion, makes phpBB better? (Sorry for the off-topic post, mods.)

http://www.amzweb.net might actually be decent for a phpBB board, now that I think of it. ;)

Originally posted by conkermaniac
Actually, there is no way that phpBB can even come close to what vB offers. What, in your opinion, makes phpBB better? (Sorry for the off-topic post, mods.)

The users using phpBB on our network outnumber
the users on vb 20 to 1.

phpBB is alot more stable than vb ..... although, not to
in any way say that vb is bad -- that title has to go to
phpNuke which we also have alot of users using that
as well.

Overall, I'd rank phpBB and vbulletin as the first two
choices.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, the least recommended
would probably go to Yabb and IkonBoard. If you don't
have MySQL then maybe Ikonboard but I'd avoid those if
you can.

Originally posted by amz

the users on vb 20 to 1.

phpBB is alot more stable than vb ..... although, not to
in any way say that vb is bad -- that title has to go to
phpNuke which we also have alot of users using that
as well.

Overall, I'd rank phpBB and vbulletin as the first two
choices.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, the least recommended
would probably go to Yabb and IkonBoard. If you don't
have MySQL then maybe use Ikonboard but I'd avoid those if
you can.

Originally posted by amz

the users on vb 20 to 1.

Isn't the reason for that rather obvious? phpBB is free, while vB is paid. In fact, I would be suspicious about that vB being hosted on your network; it could be warez...

phpBB is alot more stable than vb .....

PhpBB is OK in stability, but it has too many bugs. Quite a few security loopholes that had to be patched. Meanwhile, vB is virtually bug-free. I haven't encountered any problems ever, and I use vB boards much more often than phpBB boards.

Though we can argue about stability, vB wins by a blowout in terms of features. Except for moderator groups, phpBB's features are pretty pathetic compared to many other boards (namely, their posting screen sucks). However, both vB and phpBB have poor registration processes.

Originally posted by trenzterra
But amzweb runs paid hosting too.

Yes, but the features are generally not enough to run a very popular vB board. We would need about 8 of amz's highest-priced accounts just to run FWS.net. :p

As much as I like phpbb2, I'd have to say Vb is far superior. Phpbb2 is the best free one in my opinion though.

just out of curiosity, what is wrong with phpbb´s posting screen?

as for vB vs. phpBB vBulletin would have to win... they´ve got way more resources to spend on testing and bugfixing and everything... though i would personally prefer phpBB to a vB, it has all the features i need and its quite simple to manage...

Originally posted by spork

as for vB vs. phpBB vBulletin would have to win... they´ve got way more resources to spend on testing and bugfixing and everything... though i would personally prefer phpBB to a vB, it has all the features i need and its quite simple to manage...
You pay for VB mainly for the support. vB is far better in features too.

Yes, but the features are generally not enough to run a very popular vB board. We would need about 8 of amz's highest-priced accounts just to run FWS.net. :p
because fws.net runs on a dedicated server.

Originally posted by spork

It's just very simple...Simple is generally a good thing (as it cuts down on resource usage), but it just looks so empty and featureless. I mean, everything else on the board is generally so detailed, but this post screen is ugly and doesn't match the rest of the board. I just don't know how to explain it; it doesn't look right somehow.

It's just very simple...Simple is generally a good thing (as it cuts down on resource usage), but it just looks so empty and featureless. I mean, everything else on the board is generally so detailed, but this post screen is ugly and doesn't match the rest of the board. I just don't know how to explain it; it doesn't look right somehow.
I only dislike their posting screen, I simply hate it.

Back