• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

speeches

Weapon

NLC
NLC
here comes that dreaded time again :rolleyes: for english I have say a 4 minute speech, we have to pick our own topics and thats what I am having trouble with :eek: I have to do a topic that teaches "how to do" something or "how to make" something and I admit Im stuck, anyone have an idea for a topic?:confused:

"How to make a Web page suck" by Weapon :D

Honestly, why not how to make a Web page?

that's the correct spelling of 'bore' ...
I say watch some Monty Python videos and go from there. :cool2: :p :biggrin2:

Originally posted by is0lized
you mean english as language or what
New Zealanders speak English ;)

We had English at school and there were two sections to it, one was English expression, which is what this speech is for I would imagine.

My first suggestion was serious. Choose something you are interested in and know. Web sites or your pet lamb, whatever. They don't care _what_ you talk about but _how_ you do it. :classic2:

weapon, we could make all the suggestions under the sun, but if it doesn't interest you, it would be boring. Surely you must have something in life that interests you? :cry2:

:rolleyes:
Can't you think of something to say that I haven't already said for a change?

Originally posted by meow
My first suggestion was serious. Choose something you are interested in and know. Web sites or your pet lamb, whatever. They don't care _what_ you talk about but _how_ you do it. :classic2:

Thats right.

If they don't tell you what you're speaking about they usually critique you on these points:

Ideas & Content
Organization
Language
Delivery

So talk about your favorite pet lamb. I had to talk about something that I felt strongly in our area. Unfortunately I didn't feel strongly about anything (cause I'm moving and it would be wasted effort to try and change the area to my liking)...so I talked about the local economy. Granted, it was a boring subject. But hey, I got all 6s (6/6) on all the above areas except organization 'cause the teacher hated my notecards, where she gave me a 5 on my organization. (although I did everything from wrote)

Originally posted by Weapon
here comes that dreaded time again :rolleyes: for english I have say a 4 minute speech, we have to pick our own topics and thats what I am having trouble with :eek: I have to do a topic that teaches "how to do" something or "how to make" something and I admit Im stuck, anyone have an idea for a topic?:confused:
How about DC statehood, New Columbia?
I did a speech about it for tenth grade English. I aruged that athought I supported DC statehood, I'm against them taking land for other states for it.
(I'm from Arlington, orginally part of the 10miles sq allocation of the Capital city. DC want it for New Columbia because it is a very rich county and they need the money.)

Hmm, I remember back in 3rd form having to do a speech on 'How to ...'. You could go for something almost funny, and deftly reverse the topic, making it into a 'How not to...' (or if they're really stingy, you could say 'How to not...', but still do the same sort of thing).

Here's a couple of (weak) possibles though:

How not to toast a piece of bread (ie- sticking knives in, leave it on too long and start a fire...)

How not to protect valuable documents...

How not to drive a car...

Just try to find something funny (especially if it doesn't really matter all that much), and try to include movements (like acting it out) as well. You may look a fool, but at least it should be funny!

Back