• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

some people...

unix

I work part-time at a store called Zehrs. Its basically a supermarket very popular in ontario :D Anyway I work in the deli area and today I had to cover for the bakery people. Well everythings going fine, just a regular day working. When I get a call to the front desk for a return. I get there and I find out that this lady wants to return a half-eaten birthday cake!!! I asked her why she wanted to return it and she said, "It didn't taste very well". I'm thinking why did you eat half of it? Anyway I tell her we can't return it and give her the money back, but I'll give her store credit, and she flips! Says I was be racist because shes from Spain!?! The lady that works at the front desk was standing there with her mouth wide open when she said that. I told the lady that I'm not racist but we can't return a half-eaten cake. So she goes I want to see the bakery manager (that's me) and I tell her that thats me. She goes well I want to see the store manager so I call Bob (Store Manager) and I tell him whats going on. He tells her that he can not return the cake. Again she flips! She tells us shes never coming to the store again, that we're all racists and should be put in jail.

Should I have taken the cake back and given here a full refund? I mean come on the cakes half eaten!

I'd like to think you would... course it depends on your store policy.

At the two largest supermarkets here, they offer a 200% refund if you're not satisfied with any of their products.

No, don't return it. Food isn't something you can send back to the manufactor and get a replacement if it breaks and it isn't an item you can place back on sell.

Originally posted by Robert
No, don't return it. Food isn't something you can send back to the manufactor and get a replacement
No, but it is something you can send back to the manufacturer for a refund.

Originally posted by Bruce
No, but it is something you can send back to the manufacturer for a refund.

Not Food, unless it's expired. Most likely the cake was baked at the supermarket as most supermarkets do.

Originally posted by Robert
Not Food, unless it's expired. Most likely the cake was baked at the supermarket as most supermarkets do.
Yes, like I said in my first post, all of the supermarket's own products--whether it be cookies, cakes, or breads from their own bakery, or some of their own store-brand canned/boxed products--can be taken back for a 200% refund if you're not completely satisfied with the product.

That's how it is here, and I'd hate to think it's much different other places.

Also, most manufactuers will do the same. You can send any unused portion back to them and they'll send you a refund as well.

I'll ask the original bakery manager what their policy is.

Wouldn't this be like getting a computer using it for 2 years and returning it for a full refund?

i can't see how you can return half eaten food and then request a refund, differnt if only one slice had been eaten. I think when they mean "unsatifised with a product' it means more about it's spoiled or expired not if you don't like it. many stores don't refund clothes if you don't like them so why should it be any different.

Mabe if there was a bite taken or something, but if it was half gone then it couldn't have been that bad :p

maybe at the first bite the found out it was bad. then they tested again for the second bite, then go other peoples' opinion on how it tasted. then after ging through half the cake and all the old ladie's friends, she finally decided to take it back. i would have tasted the cake, if it tasted good, id go into my office to do "furthur taste testing." if it tasted bad, id say it tastes great! but i havent ever held a store-type job for longer than a week so dont listen to me.

Actually this reminds me of this lady at a 5-Star Supermarket (thats the name, theyre really probabaly -3 starts...MHUAAHHA). Anyways I was very young at the time and me and my friend were just having one of those wierd-periods: WE were collectiong receipts of everything we could. ;) Anyways, we got like 200 from a stack on the ground outside for no reason at the back of the shops haha. Anyway we had them in our bag and when we were buyin sumtin she had to checked the bags. She found all the reciepts and looked at us funny asking what they were (we just said "Reciepts") and she threw THEM ALL AWAY! That bitch. We should have reported her saying she threw away our documents of our grandfather's ashes...or something.

Originally posted by Bruce
Yes, like I said in my first post, all of the supermarket's own products--whether it be cookies, cakes, or breads from their own bakery, or some of their own store-brand canned/boxed products--can be taken back for a 200% refund if you're not completely satisfied with the product.

That's how it is here, and I'd hate to think it's much different other places.

Also, most manufactuers will do the same. You can send any unused portion back to them and they'll send you a refund as well.

I've never heard of a store that offes a 200% refund, 115%, yes. But not 200%, especially a supermarket.

And no, you cannot send a manufactor a half-eat cake and get a refund for the unused portions, especially with food. If that was the case than all the hospitals in the U.S.A. would send their food back for a refund on what was not eaten by the patients, than Burger King would ask you to save your left overs so they can get a refund. Having worked in retail and especially having worked in a supermarket you can only get a refund on items that are expired, pending you didn't purchase it 2-3 weeks prior, also refunds will be given on food that is old that you couldn't see, ie. canned foods, certain meats, etc. But the supermarket cannot send those items back. It takes time for items to arrive from the factory to the super market and therefore, it is considered the supermarket's responsbility to keep those items in special crates and maintain a temperature that will not cause the food to expire or go bad.

As for the customer, she was lucky she didn't run into me. Not only would I have made her look so foolish that she didn't want to return to that store, I'd make her never want to ever shop at a supermarket again.

racist bastard unix...

:biggrin2:

i agree with robert on this, if i don't like something i bought, i either throw it away, or finish it anyway

I hate people who try to return stuff. The other day, at the store I work at, a lady was trying to return a pair of jeans because "Well, I washed them, and, well look at them." They looked normal...except, maybe, they hadn't been folded nicely, so they were a bit wrinkly. Anyways...yea.

I suppose maybe if they have half the cake, and really think it's not edible, you could give her a refund. But look on the bright side, one less stupid --- customer for your store to deal with in the future.

I'm about to leave for work again. By the way she wasnt old, she was like in her 30s. There was nothing wrong with the cake she just said it didn't "taste" good. My regular job at the supermarket is the deli section. The only time anyone return anything was a man who bought meat which was 1 day expired. :eek:

But not 200%, especially a supermarket.
WalMart SuperCenter, somewhere in Wyoming. Painted real big on the back above the deli. I'm pretty sure it was for the packaged meats and stuff, not for the bakery tho. I don't remember, we were on vacation and I was tired.

some people...are just assholes

Originally posted by unix
Should I have taken the cake back and given here a full refund? I mean come on the cakes half eaten!
well if it hasnt been 30 days, i suppose so.
j/k.

seriously...let's take a look again.

Originally posted by unix

hell no dude. no fricken way. that lady's nuts. you did the right thing.

racist bastard unix...

ROTFLMAO

Last edited:
I talked to the bakery manager. He said the baked goods policy is, if a costumer says that they are not satisafied with the baked good because it is not eatable then we must return it. If the costumer is not satisafied with the taste we are to give her a new baked good only if 75% or more of the baked good is intacked.

Back