• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

So someone has ripped our site

pro5ject

NLC
Mixoklome has been ripped again.

This time I want to take legal action, can anyone advise me of my rights, and what to do next ?
The site is a complete rip, even still hotlinking most of the images.

I have also found out alot of info already on the guy who allegedly done it, and finding alot of sites by him, hes claims to be a 'web sight design'.

This guy is from
SAN DIEGO,
United States
Phone: (619) xxxxxxxx

And I am in the Uk if that helps.

Any help anyone ??

I doubt your actions will have any impact.

I was reading a couple months ago some thread on a musical website about website stealers. Everyone was against them, but couldnt do nothing.

Then this attorney guy walks in and says you are powerless againt copiers because
a) You don't have a license/disclaimer the surfer has to agree to upon entering your website where you explicitely say copying/etc is prohibited

Think software installers. "I accept the terms" gives you the Next button. Othewise can't install.

So if we follow this logic, you will lose in court because you can't support your claim that he broke some rules. No written disclamer/license/nothing.

But hey, you can give it a shoot if you want. (just watch your wallet for legal fees :))
Or just contact his host and report the situation.

Well, I'm not too sure to what extent what Wojtek said is true, but I think you might have a bit of a case, seeing as he's hotlinking off of you and stealing your bandwidth. At the very least, you can send some threatening e-mails indicating that you are going to take legal action, and he'd probably go rip off someone els'es design, but I think you should maybe sit down with an anttorney, one with some knowledge on copyright law when it pertains to the internet. He or she could help you out more than any of us here could.

Just out of curiosity's sake, do you think you could post the URL for the guy here? I'm intrigued, and I want to see just how obvious a rip this is.

Yeah, it should be covered under copyright law, especially if he's directly linking to your images. Don't post the URL... IANAL, but I don't think it's a good idea, especially if you plan to take it to court.

I cannot post the url nor name of person or company, I want to keep it private until legal matters evolve. I can however say this is an interior design company.
(I have had to blur parts of the screengrab)

You can see it is a blatent rip though.
rip1.jpg

Any thoughts on what I said p5?

About the licensing/disclaimer thingy. or maybe you contacted an attorney already.

Do please keep us updated, I'd like to know how your case will end up

Why not let us see the url? I mean if you get a lot of people to see the site and post on other boards he won't be able to sell any thing because of the rip off site.

well he might also find out he's beeing tracked and possibly prosecuted by Mixoklome and might take the design down

HostingCorral said:
Why not let us see the url? I mean if you get a lot of people to see the site and post on other boards he won't be able to sell any thing because of the rip off site.

Then he will know what I am up to, if he is clever enough to check their stats, like Wojtek said I will wait to post the url.

The designer is at fault here, ripping my design, not the actual company - I pressume they think he designed it, and then payed for it.
(I noticed this because my unique visitors has gone x3 in the last few days, so I thought I'd check my stats (which I rarely do), and there it was)).

I am now in conference with a legal advisor from the US, and possibly one from the UK if he calls me back.

Woj, there are legal implications in talking about court cases before they go publicly to court. I don't exactly know all the details, but it falls under leaking evidence, etc.

Back