• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

So I ordered a new laptop...

Conscript

NLC
NLC
I've been planning on getting a desktop replacement for a while.

I looked everything from HP to Dell. The closest I came to was the new Inspiron 6000 which had 1.6Ghz Centrino (the new Centrino w/533mhz FSB) and a dvd burner, 1gb of ram, etc. for $1900ish.

One of my criteria was battery life the other was a good video card (which are suprisingly rare in laptops) so that I can do gaming.

I ended up with a CyberPowerSystem, www.cyberpowersystem.com. They're a cheap online manuf of computers which I trust because all my friends have them and I have a desktop from them as well.

The comp I got is a 1.8Ghz Pentium M (2mb Cache, and they claim ~4-5 hours battery life), 1GB of RAM, 40GB HD, DVD burner, media card reader built in, 15.4" Widescreen 1680x1050 and all the standard stuff like wifi and what not.

I also really like the case of it. Very good looking laptop.

The Video Card is the best part of it: ATI Radeon 9700 PRO 256MB. Very rare for such a high end card to be found in a laptop!

So uh, I get my computer in a few weeks, so I'll see how it goes. Its a very good purchase in theory as the specs/price ratio cant be beat. It was $1,675 with shipping.

Edit:

Here's a link to the actual system I custom configed (w/pics!): http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/highendsystem/NTBKS43000.asp?v=d

Last edited:
CyberPower always has great prices, I just never knew anyone who ordered from them. Make sure you take pics and give us a review on the laptop when it arrives.

Good Looking Laptop!

Yes.. quite sexy. Seems like a cheap alternative to AlienWare that use 3rd party cases.. I saw an NZXT case on their website... damn good cases they are >.>

Thanks guys!! I am very excited.

I've ordered the computer I am currently typing this from on cyberpower for super cheap like 3 years ago and so far its been working without any major hitches. No hardware problems at all, just the usual Windows b.s.

Since I got my computer I've recommended them to my friends and now I know 6 people who have ordered after me and all turned out great just like mine.

A lot of reviews of Cyberpower online are negative, but I think those must be exceptional cases since everyone I know including me had nothing but a good experience. So I hope my good luck streak continues with this laptop :biggrin2:

Unlike Alienware, Cyberpower competes with the big boys on price. You really wont ever find a configuration cheaper than cyberpower anywhere else. Believe me, I've tried. Alienware is a designer laptop that is high end but also charges an arm and a leg.

I'll take pics when it arrives and give you guys a solid review of it. For $1675 with these specs you really can't beat that deal. :)

Yeah, Sony is way too expensive. I personally wouldn't buy anything from Sony, its like you pay 50% of the price for the actual item and the other 50% of the price is because it has a "Sony" label.

Does your Vaio have a good graphics card? Cause most of the Viaos we have at work have like ATI 9000 which sucks.

If only their Sentia system had a real graphics card it'd be great. The other ones are very good performers. The only problem with Alienware is their price. They're even more expensive than Sony.

Yeah, prices are true. But they are more unique than Sony. Personally I wouldn't pay an extra $500-1000 for a funky case, but some people must. When I get around to getting a laptop, I'm gonna stick with a nice generic Dell.

I can't believe on the Sentia system they don't have an upgrade option for GFX card.

When I get a laptop. I'm going to eBay it. Then buy 2 19" LCD's for my computer :D

Last edited:
tandoc said:
When I get a laptop. I'm going to eBay it. Then buy 2 19" LCD's my computer :D

If you want stolen goods, I have a friend who can get hold of "ex-lease" corporate stuff. Except you might have to wait a while, his contact had to goto Adelaide for a while.

I'm gonna stick with a nice generic Dell.

You'd be overpaying. I'd go with CyberpowerSystem! :) The same computer that I ordered at Dell (the closest was the Inspiron 6000) was about ~1900ish and that was without a graphics card (that mine has)!

Cyberpowersystem seems like it can in general give you about $300-$500 savings on average as far as laptops AND desktops go.

Stolen laptops aren't worth the trouble. Unlike other stolen goods like CD players or little things like that, laptops are traceable. If you ever get it serviced anywhere you'll likely be arrested because service companies always run the serial # (that you cant remove) through the database. Even Best Buy does it.

Also, if anyone reports you (say you told someone you had a stolen laptop and then they got pissed at you for some reason and called the cops), it will be a piece of cake to prove that the laptop is stolen (they'd just take a minute to run the serial # through the system).

Now if its a stolen consumer laptop you might get away with it because people very seldom keep track of serial numbers of their equipment and report them to the police and enter them into the system. Corporations keep track of their assets in a much more organized way so you can be sure that if the laptop is any good (meaning it was activley used in the corporation at the time rather than an old laptop that isnt used and no one notices missing) then it will be in the sytem.

So basically anything goes wrong and you're on your own as you cant have it serviced.

Also, if you didn't format the computer when you got it and went online then you're as good as busted as well because corporate models have a program that sends your IP info as well as other laptop-specific info to asset tracking companies everytime the laptop connects to the internet.

So if the laptop is reported stolen and a month later it appears online with your IP address it will be probable cause for the asset tracking company to inform the company it was stolen from that the laptop was located and electronic evidence is solid enough to have a subpoena issued to find out who used that IP address and you're pretty much screwed.

So you'd have to format it immediatley upon getting it. Second, you'd never ever be able to get the laptop serviced. So if the screen gets screwed up or something else goes wrong fix it on your own or toss the laptop.

Oh yeah, and finally if you're buying stolen laptops sometimes you'll get just the chasis with no insides or a laptop that is broken. People who deal in stolen goods aren't always the most reliable characters. So unless you know the person well enough to know he definitley wont screw you, I'd stay away.

A co-worker of mine told me once about how his cousin paid $500 for a stolen laptop and it turned out the mobo was fried and it wouldnt boot, and to make matters worse had virtually no insides (HD was taken out, Ram chips were taken out, etc.). Since he couldnt test it at the time of the "purchase" he was pretty much screwed.

It's a more expensive lesson than buying some expensive video tapes of movies or shows or something for $1 at a flea market only to find out they're blank and have nothing on them when you get home.

Last edited:
For all these reasons above, that is why I do not buy stolen goods. I was just offering tandoc a cheaper option than eBay to obtain stolen goods.

Any tut's on laptop building? Plus any part suppliers?

Well one important thing is the screen. If you get a "for parts" laptop on ebay chances are it'll be some old model that you can't do much with and if the screen is bad then you really can't replace it with anything else.

Laptop parts are very expensive and hard to make compatible because a lot of things are already integrated onto the motherboard.

Seems like its more of a hassle then its worth. If it was possible/economical to build your own laptop like you could easily a desktop we'd see a lot more small businesses get into the custom laptop business. But other than a few online companies like cyberpower and alienware the market seems to be cornered by the big boys like HP, Sony, Dell, etc.

Whereas if you're shopping for a desktop there's tons of people who could build you one locally custom, or you could easily get the parts to build one yourself (though if you do take the build it yourself route you'll still end up paying more than you would for a cyberpowersystem most likely).

Back