• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

similar host like tera-byte with subdomains and linux ?!

akersche

hi,
does anybody know a host,
that is offering web-hosting (not talking about dedicated server(s))
(guess vdi or dialtoneinternet would be nice, but they don't sell packages)
is as realiable as tera-byte and offers great support as tera-byte
and has their own datacenter (preferable also a hugde one with at least 2 diffrent high bandwith lines to the internet).

BUT that offer subdomains and perhaps not on coboalt raq, so that i could set up spam detection on MY own (see other thread).

and the price should be about the same.
like their 99MB package for $99/year.
and with cgi, php, mysql, asp, pwd protected dirs,
ftp, telnet,
pop mail (preferable also imap),

as i said uptime is important and especially immideat delivery of email.
(ok, know that 100% uptime doesn't exists.)
ohhh almost forgot. should be on a quick line to europe. (but all big noc's should be anyway)

it would be awesome if i could host there 2 domains. one for myself ans another one for a friends company (who would just need http and no email) (so i could use ip pointing of mydomain and as backup zoneedit).

any suggestions.
or is that just not possible?
i just would love subdomains without buying an extra package at tera-byte....

Greetings Arno

check out interaid.com

I set up a site with them and its pretty nice they offer everything you said but not there own data center

(serve4free.com is my site on them)

thanks. seems interesting, but expensive...

tera-byte would also offer 20GB/month, which is quite a lot... it would be ok, if the bandwith would be just 10 or 5

perhaps i should explain why i want a host with their own noc:
simple because of responsibility. i would hate it when they blame the noc for errors...
well i know a noc, could blame their line providers, but if they have 2 or more, it's a rather high chance, that at least one line is working...
and also they should be able to set up a reasonable price, cause they host lots of accounts...

and i didn't state i need email forwarding...
cause if i got cgi with sendmail and have access to the mailbox for spam protection, i also would be able to redirect the email on my own to another outside mailbox...
(actually i got 3 external mailboxes,
and one email (priority@......net) should be delivered to 2 external accounts)
so autoresponder would also be no problem...

Last edited:
didn't say it should be cheaper... but not triple price
but a bit diffrent offer:
including subdomains
perhaps possibility to host another domain on same ip (with help of script)
be able to have a .forward or .qmail file, which starts a script
or procmail...

and on the other hand it would be ok to have a bit less bandwith, would be ok.

Last edited:
At this time Dim8.net does not provide ASP Support. We gave it a long and hard though of supporting ASP and we've come to the conclusion that not many people use it and it's just a waste of system resources in that case.

asp is really not that important...

hmm... hostrocket. i'll check their site out. thx.

"lightning redirection" what's that! and how can i get it to work on tera-byte?

May I ask why it's so important for you to be able to install your own spam detection program/script?

of course robert:
i just want deal once with spam (writting or modifing the script) and then get rid of most spam mails...
i admit i only get very few spam mails... cause i acted strict against them, but still, i find them anoying

and there is also another reason:
when i am able do that, i can also forward mail to my cellular phone as sms...
i got an email for my cellular phone and can sent email to the phone. but there is a restriction: i need to use unconditined forwarding. and the message has to be short, too.
so i only get mails that are adressed directly and only to my cellular phone email...
and i already have a script i used, that extracts the important information from an email...

just want to use that when i am on vacation or waiting for an important email...

(the host i had the script at is/was on my university account. but you can't have that forever...)

i guess i also have to admit that i am an c.s. prof. and interested in that...

forgot to mention: forwarding on my cellular also works now with tera-byte.
but i forward email to a free service, that forwards it to my cellular... and i am not sure, how long that service will exists... and it could also cause delays....

Well our servers allow you to forward emails to other email addresses or cell phones.

Also,

when you setup an autoresponder email address on our server, it adds a certain line to our conf file such as

robert "/usr/local/autoresponder.pl" /robert

which means when an email addressed to robert is sent to the server, it's sent to the /usr/local/autoresponder.pl script and uses the autorespond message for the username robert to reply.

I believe we can modify it so that when an email is sent to your email address, it goes to your script that checks it and sends it to the phone.

Confusing? .. i just confused myself. lol

hi robert,
thx for your quick reply.
it looks like you really care about clients and are flexible:)

sounds really good, what you would offer:)
the only point, that is not fullfilled is that you don't have your own noc... (read aboce in the thread)

got vacation reply on tera-byte, too. and normal forwarding, too.
perhaps i should mention that i got a cellular phone in austria, europe from A1. guess it's a bit diffrent in the states.
(anyway i got wap, but that would cost me more...)

i hope i manage to get subdomains working on tera-byte....
have you got an idea, how i could do that and if it's possible (with one account (plan4))

could you explain me this "lightning redirection"

Greetings Arno

Lightening Redirection is a script to allow people register a subdomain off your site and have it redirect to their site.

A perfect example is www.wzr.net who uses a modified version of it.

It runs off of PERL and basically you place a index.cgi as your main page and when someone goes to lala.yourdomain.com, index.cgi looks to where to redirect lala.yourdomain.com to, and if there isn't a place to redirect it to, it sends the user to yourdomain.com.

Nope we don't have our NOC, we are located at Tera-Byte.com. =)

But boy-o-boy do I get on their case when the servers go down.

thanks for telling me about the script!
i did already try some diffrent redirection scripts for subdomains, but didn't get them working on tera-byte:-(

and just need it for myself...

just saw, a thread that describes the problem:
http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/showthread.php?postid=67548

The problem with raqs and forwarding is that a raq normally rewrites everything (so something.domain.com becomes www.domain.com).

did already try to get help in the cgi-forum. but with no success...
http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=7476

tera-byte really a good noc...
(just that the raq are not that flexible)

Back