• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

shoutcast servers?

idoru

now i know i am opening the door to abuse here, but does anyone know of any servers that provide shoutcast serving?

i would love to host here, but since by bandwidth is shite, i couldn't have more than three people listening, but if there were a real server out there, that i connected my dj prog to, then i could hav my listeners connect to that.

i've been long under the assumption that sucha thing doesn't exist, but i figutred it might eb worth asking, cause who knows?

also, on a side note, any paid servers offering this?

FIrst of all, shoutcast servers require losts and losts of bandwidth, and second, you'd have to be on the host computer in order to play music and stuff(unless ssh)

Now, wheres my custom title? I got 1002 posts and I've been in these forums for 2 years now. :(

yes, it does take some serious bandwidth.
that would be why i have long assumed it's not going to be available.
but no, absolutely not, do you need to be dj'ing from the server, in fact, it is suggested you NOT be.

that is why there are two completely seprate programs.
the dsp plugin for winamp, and the seprate server program.

they suggest using 2 different machines whenever possible.

when i still had high speed internet, i was running my shoutcast station from home from my linnux server, with the shoutcast plugin running alternately between computers in my home network, and several other people around the world on the internet.

there were also options to allow you to "trigger" your media files stored on the server, from the dj machine, cutting down the actual bandwidth needed to dj (especially good, because most of my dj's were not on high speed internet.)

i'm sure, that in addition to the potentially astronomical throughput required for it (as in data stream to listeners) the issue of the legality of mp3's would be a major concern of the host.

i kinda figured this wasn't available for free anywhere, i figured maybe i would try though.

Back