• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Should I convert XP 32-bit to XP 64-bit?

Marky

What are the negatives and positives of this and how am i to upgrade without reinstalling every program on my computer again?

I wouldn't bother. The platform still isn't fully mature, some software just plain won't work, and a lot of drivers still aren't to be found. You're guaranteed almost zero performance increase right now.

Premier performance
Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is a robust platform that offers premier performance that is unparalleled in the mainstream 32-bit desktop environment. Sixty-four-bit native applications can deliver more data more quickly, so memory-intensive applications can run more quickly and efficiently. Data in memory is accessed thousands of times faster than it is on a disk drive. Applications can preload substantially more data into virtual memory, allowing rapid access by the 64-bit processor.

Vast memory support
The key difference between 32-bit and 64-bit computing with Windows XP is that the 64-bit version can use more system memory. Windows XP Professional x64 Edition supports up to 128 gigabytes (GB) of RAM and 16 terabytes of virtual memory, so applications can run faster when working with large data sets. Physical memory support will grow in the future as hardware capabilities expand.

lol the reason why i was thinking of upgrading in first place

Marki said:
Premier performance
Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is a robust platform that offers premier performance that is unparalleled in the mainstream 32-bit desktop environment. Sixty-four-bit native applications can deliver more data more quickly, so memory-intensive applications can run more quickly and efficiently. Data in memory is accessed thousands of times faster than it is on a disk drive. Applications can preload substantially more data into virtual memory, allowing rapid access by the 64-bit processor.

Vast memory support
The key difference between 32-bit and 64-bit computing with Windows XP is that the 64-bit version can use more system memory. Windows XP Professional x64 Edition supports up to 128 gigabytes (GB) of RAM and 16 terabytes of virtual memory, so applications can run faster when working with large data sets. Physical memory support will grow in the future as hardware capabilities expand.
The only problem with that is 64-bit programs don't exist. There are some out there, but they are few and far between.

If you're thinking of upgrading because you need support for 128GB RAM, then by all means, upgrade. ;)

Marki said:

That's only if you run 64bit programs. It's not so much increased performance, but just more functionality. Considering 64bit programs cannot run on a 32bit platform and vice versa. 32bit programs won't be any faster on Windows x64.

Back