• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Should I Bounce?

To bounce or not to bounce, that is the question.

• Yes! Think of how awesome "I was a bouncer in college" stories sound when you're old and boring.

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • No! Beating up drunk people is harder than it sounds.

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters

Nick

NLC
So last night I was sitting at the bar, just having a good time with friends and drinking a bit of Jack and Coke (the only time I ever drink soda :p). We were chatting with the bartender and I asked her a question that I had been curious about for a while, "How much do the bouncers make?" She told me probably around $9 to $10 an hour and then paused, told me to hold on, and just abruptly left. A minute or two later she comes back out to the bar with an job application and tells me they need people for the summer when they're open all week long. I was kind of surprised because I wasn't really asking for a job, I was just curious how much those guys made. She told me to think about it and I could give her the application before we left (which I didn't) or I could come back next week and fill one out.

So I've been thinking about this today and the more I think about it, the more it actually starts to sound like a good idea. I had been trying to figure out for a while what summer job I was going to get since I would be staying in the city to take a couple summer courses. My previous thoughts were: Best Buy or Circuit City because I could get discounts after a while of working there like my friends do OR a cook in a restaurant like last summer. Well, the Best Buy or Circuit City idea is good but I imagine there's loads of kids that try to work there over the summer. On the cooking side, I'm really good at working in the kitchen but I get so hot easily that working in there is usually pretty miserable for me.

So now I'm thinking it's the same money, mostly just standing around with my arms crossed, checking IDs, and the occasional rowdy drunk. Should I give this a shot? I've gone to this bar quite a few times and it's a real calm place -- I've never seen a fight break out (but surely they do from time to time), it's in a marina and the best way for me to describe it is a casual yacht club. The crowd is late 20's through the 30's. I looked around and they had about six bouncers working, one at all the entrances so it wouldn't be one or two people against the world or anything. I like all the music that they play and the smoke isn't too bad. Plus, in the summer, the back side is opened up and it's on the dock overlooking the marina. Most of the guys working there were fairly big, and while some of them were more muscular than me but none of them were much taller than my shoulders.

So FWS, what should I do? I know it probably sounds like I'm leaning towards the idea but I'm really on the fence and I'm sure I don't have to list the cons as you all can easily figure those out.

:confused4

I would have to say no on this one, a good friend of mine was a bouncer and a pretty big fight broke out in the bar, So in the midst of trying to break it up he of course roughed up a couple of guys and tossed them out the club. Let's just say that him "man" handling the guys and forcing them outside resulted in criminal chrages and him being fired.

In my opinion its just not worth it now days. Especially as crazy as people are. You have to think about it though. Is the 9-10 bucks an hour worth putting yourself in harms way?

Go for it, just make sure you're insured (both medically and against lawsuits).

Last edited:
I think it sounds like a good job. Would you have something to defend yourself with?

I think it sounds like a good job. Would you have something to defend yourself with?

Bouncers are required by law (a)(3)(section 3) to carry a wooden plank with the minimum of 3 (three) rusty nails at one end.

You only bounce if you can throw down. If you can throw down, then bounce. It sounds ideal, if the bar and the surrounding areas aren't seedy.

If you're in the more, say, drug addicted, neighbourhoods...ISSUES. I know guys who have bounced that have been stabbed, but he area was completely balls. No one in their right mind should even drink in those areas let alone work in them.

I doubt they are allowed to have weapons. Legal issues would arise from that.

The area isn't seedy at all, like I said, this is at a nice marina with lots of expensive boats and the surrounding area is made up of these fancy new town houses that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The shadiest characters I've seen at this bar are really just old fat guys trying to pick up some late twenties trim. The only thing that I would see as a potential problem is the number of younger Navy guys that go there. They'd probably be the most likely to get in fights, probably with each other.

I know a couple bouncers for different establishments. They seem to enjoy it. Besides, it is fun to allow/deny entry to people :)

Do you need to get a security licence over there? Here you do - and it sets you back $600.

$9 an hour is pretty ---- for what you might have to put up with to (I get 3x that!)

Also, think about working nights and the disapearance of your social life (if one exists)

Yeah $9 an hour is pretty darned low, but if it is something that you think you can handle, gopherit!

Yeah $9 an hour is pretty darned low, but if it is something that you think you can handle, gopherit!

It's probably more than you think for America (I hear Aussy wages and cost of living is very high).

Nah, the Australian government likes to PRETEND wages are high, always exagerating that people make 60k a year on average. But its more like 30k for the average person. Possible less.

Ive done some bouncing work. You need a licence here tho. But $9 US is barely $12AU and that below minumum wage. Id have to say no. For some of the s*it you have to deal with in clubs and bars you want $20 minimum.

In my state, minimum wage is right around $7.

$9-10 is about the best I could hope for in regards to just a summer job.

In my state, minimum wage is right around $7.

$9-10 is about the best I could hope for in regards to just a summer job.

:eek2: Here it's 5.85. July 24, it goes up to 6.55. Then next July 24, it goes up to 7.25.

You only bounce if you can throw down. If you can throw down, then bounce. It sounds ideal, if the bar and the surrounding areas aren't seedy.

If you're in the more, say, drug addicted, neighbourhoods...ISSUES. I know guys who have bounced that have been stabbed, but he area was completely balls. No one in their right mind should even drink in those areas let alone work in them.
Quotin' dis, because I need to know how you feel about punching people in the face.

Back