• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Shared hosting or own server

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerocool786

I have read about shared hosting is not secure for many of the CMS.

I just found out about WAMP server. which allows me to start me own server.

I wanted to which is more secure, the Shared hosting account from (bluehost, startlogic etc) or having my own server using WAMP.

thanks

WAMP is only needed if you are using a Windows server and want Apache with PHP instead of using IIS.

For the most part if you want Apache/PHP based web hosting it is better to go with a Linux server, CentOS is really good to get started with or if you have some Linux experience you can use a distro like Debian.

Overall it's hard to tell which is more secure. Shared hosts handle the security concerns for you, but you have no way to know if your stuff is actually secure- for instance if users aren't jailed properly they can read your files or if there's an unchecked exploit in the host that could let a hacker root the system and do whatever they wanted.

Hosting it yourself you would be sure that the obvious problems are resolved, but would forever be tracking down fixes for possible exploits to keep your data secure. It's quite frustrating because no matter how up to date you are there are always more security holes.

Everything depends on your personal needs and I would like to say that it will be nice to contact your provider support before to make any final decision.

Shared hosting is secure, however there is significant difference between hosting security and script security.

You can be hosted an a server that is impossble to hack into, however if you run a buggy script and it is exploited - it has nothing to do with the server.
Only your account will be exploited - script injections, iframe injections, base64 oriented attacks, site defaced or simply your .htaccess changed to redirect all visitors to a exploted website on some other host.

Same thing can happen on your VPS/dedicated server.
I would suggest that you choose the most safe options, search for hosts that offer suPHP where you can have more secure permissions than Joomla's (famous) 777 directories.
Or if you will have your own server, configure it to run PHP trough suPHP or fCGI (mostly performance based, some say suPHP is faster others say fcgi PHP is faster) . The basics are the sae - PHP scripts are run trough the accounts user, not the Apache use (nobody [cPanel], www-data [debian] users).

With suPHP most secure file permissions are 444 (read-read-read).
If you need a conifg script to be read-write - set it 644 and afterwords change it to 444.
Directories are a standard of 755 permissions.

Hope this cleared it a bit :)

thanks guys..

I should have mention I used Boonex dolphin script before and got hacked. some people said its because of shared hosting and because of buggy script.

so I was thinking, to start my oww server using WAMP. so it will at least stop one way to be attacked. I know, there is no 100% secure, but wanted to reduce attacks. I have also heard of SQL injections. what are way to reduce these injections ( script injections, iframe injections, base64 oriented attacks, site defaced)

Best not to use WAMP, as it is designed for a Windows-based server environment that is inherently insecure when exposed directly to the internet.

You should use Linux with Apache/MySQL, that will perform far better and be more secure than Windows/WAMP as your server arrangement.

Another point for LAMP.
Linux distributions are best for web servers while windows are good for everyday use.

Nobody uses windows to run their web hosts if it is not requested by their clients. A very few people likes windows as a server OS too.... But my choice is Windows for PC and Linux for web server ;)

How secure is any Shared hosting service depends on the way it is managed, both by service provider and site owner. Otherwise a VPS should be more secure (at least in theory) because represents an isolated instance.

Depends on your scale really. Shared hosting is secure, dedicated is secure too (if you set it up right). If you are overselling though, alot of shared resellers don't allow that.

I too agree with ServerPoint, Dedicated Server is not the solution, if you think that shared servers are not fully secure you can always opt for a VPS hosting solution which offers the same reliability, performance, security, root access and stability a dedicated server provides.

Hello,
Yes you are right. i also heard about this. shared server have many problems so, own server is far better than shared but shared server cost very less then own server. but if you want good speed and security than you have to use dedicated or own server.

cheers!!

Last edited:
Hello,
I think both have there own values.shared server used by many websites who don't want special security and special speed because it costs less. while your own server have great speed and good security but it costs very high.

thanks!!

I think if you are just starting out, there isn't a need for VPS yet. Just go with shared hosting to save some money. Once you get big enough, then you can switch over to a VPS and get faster speeds.

I was on a shared hosting plan with my current host for 6 months and on the 7th month I switched to VPS and it was seamless. My clients are loading my site faster than ever without issue.

I was on a shared hosting plan with my current host for 6 months and on the 7th month I switched to VPS and it was seamless. My clients are loading my site faster than ever without issue.
I suppose your next step will be dedicated server. Actually that is recommended. Good luck.

Only dedicated hosting service can provide you the best security so if you don`t want to start your own server you can get dedicated hosting services but this will charge you a big amount. You can also use VPS hosting service which is cheap and much secure from the shared.

Server Hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back