• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Setting up ADSL on Windows ME

Toefur

Two Sheds
NLC
I have to do this for somebody, and am wondering if I will have any difficulties with this? It's been used since I used anything but Windows XP, and all I remember about ME/98 is that they have shocking support for easily installing stuff like this.

In fact, at this stage I can't even remember how you go about setting up a network on one of them.

Anyway. I have to install and setup the ADSL via USB modem. Will there likely be any potential issues with this? I can just plug in, install software, log in to the modem and add the login details?

Well the last time I used a DSL connection on a Win9x box I had to use a PPPoE client to connect. Maybe with these new modems it takes care of that for you... I'm nto really sure. My modem is some 6 years old and has no interface to log into. All of the ISPs here will send out an install CD that any non computer-literate person could figure out anyway.

Problem is, most ISP's don't support anything other than XP anymore, and their install CD's they send will often refuse to work if they detect you are running ME/98.

Seeing how you're in Australia, I don't know the setup. Here in the U.S., most DSL Providers send out the Westell 6100 (Or the Westell 2100) ADSL Modem/Router. All the customer has to do is connect it to the ethernet port on their computer (or USB) and the modem handles PPPoE Sessions for them. No CD is required (unless you use USB just to get the drivers).

I don't even recommend using USB and don't even recommend using the CD, as it's pure garbage and not needed.

Which ISP? Telstra had a set up for ME on their installation disk and it worked fine for me for a few years

on ME you need a program to establish a connection. look on your isp's disk.
or try to configure the modem's firmware. if its a siemens speedstream you can access it by 192.168.2.1

Thanks Guys.

I was just a little worried, as I've had grief with this sort of thing a lot before. :(

Anyway, it turned out to be quite easy! Jan, it -was- Bigpond, and the people had called me in because they couldn't get it to work, and on calling Bigpond tech support they were told that it's, 'Not Supported' and so they would have to sort it out for themselves.

So, it turns out that I plug in the USB - didn't even have to install drivers. It detected it. I put in the Bigpond CD, brings up a, "This Version of WIndows is not supported".

It was a Siemens 4200 sometihng, but I couldn't access it via the IP for some reason, but on the Bigpond CD there was some kind of program that sets everything up. I just put in the username and password and it worked...

Don't know why Telstra couldn't tell them how to do that. :S

Back