• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

set back to msn default search page?

trenzterra

NLC
Right now those damn websites go and put their own search page in "Search" in Internet Explorer. How do I set it back to the default MSN one?

I think he's talking about Internet Explorer's Search. When you click on it a Search function will come up. The sites he visits put their own search function on there... Right?

You'll need to edit your registry... disclaimer: I will not take any responsibility et al...

There's a few keys that you need to change- I've only done it once, but it will be something like local computer, software, microsoft, internet explorer, then possibly a search page thing? I really don't know more than that, and if you can't find it by that, I'd recommend seeing if someone else knows the exact key to use.

Hey btw, how come these scripts that add things to the registry can actually run through IE? I mean, surely that would be a huge security risk... and I know I didn't click okay or anything when one 'infected' me!

Originally posted by f1done
You'll need to edit your registry... disclaimer: I will not take any responsibility et al...

There's a few keys that you need to change- I've only done it once, but it will be something like local computer, software, microsoft, internet explorer, then possibly a search page thing? I really don't know more than that, and if you can't find it by that, I'd recommend seeing if someone else knows the exact key to use.

Hey btw, how come these scripts that add things to the registry can actually run through IE? I mean, surely that would be a huge security risk... and I know I didn't click okay or anything when one 'infected' me!
hey whats the url to set it?

Try these two keys. Check what you have there first. Here are the values I have.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"Search Page"="http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&ar=iesearch"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search]
"SearchAssistant"="http://ie.search.msn.com/{SUB_RFC1766}/srchasst/srchasst.htm"

You could also check this one. (It's blank for me but I think they can add crap there):

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchUrl]

Did you check if some crap was entered at the others too? Just curious because my search has never been taken over (yet!). :)

Similar things could probably be done to the others too but no one bothers.

Opera for instance have had several javascript vulnerabilities and still has but no one bothers to exploit them so Opera can continue to say their browser is safe - not because it can't be manipulated but because no one does.

Originally posted by meow
Did you check if some crap was entered at the others too? Just curious because my search has never been taken over (yet!). :)
dunno.

Jan: I doubt Netscape has that search function:p

It has a search function but lets you choose between many engines (even if their own crap is the default).

Back