• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Server Help

kyle

Does this sound like a good setup?

Dual 10gig hard drives
intel celeron 533mhz
100 base T Ethernet
64mb ram
mysql
perl,c++,ssi,php4,xml,java, and all others languages
SSL for shopping cart
real audio/video
freebsd operating system
oc3 and t3 connections
anonymous ftp

Originally posted by kyle
...and all others languages
Geeze, All other languages? I want a server than can speak Japanese, Italian, Spanish, Indonesian, Chinese, Indian, Aboriginal (All 3,000 variations) & French!

kidding

i think he was kidding but hey supermoo i have the operating systems (win2k, me, and 98) for all langueges ibm ships latops to

Originally posted by kyle

What you are missing here is, FOR WHAT? Without stating the purpose of the server, there's nothing to talk about. Purpose aside, I'd say that 64 MB of ram will be fine to begin with, but not for all that long.

well, 64 megs of ram with all that other stuff? if it is a home comp i said upgrade it to 96 or 128

if it is a server, witch probley is then 256 or ++ would be good

hope your not planing to just play games with that

cuz that sheit makes me sick.. having that much power for half-life :D

yes i did, i am getting my own domain and gaming site online with it which gets about 200000+- views per month

I'd say lose the extra hard drive and get at least 128 ram and consider upgrading from the celron to a PII or something, the ram is the most important though, im speaking from experience.

I can't loose the 2nd drive and add ram until i get about 10,000 page views per day(due to costs) and we only get about 5500-6000 we have a ways to go yet.(it is a free dedicated server)

Originally posted by jw
I'd say lose the extra hard drive and get at least 128 ram and consider upgrading from the celron to a PII or something, the ram is the most important though, im speaking from experience.

Just curious... What's wrong with Celeron processors?

Well, you will have to have more ram. Its not that much. I found 128 megs of pny sdram pc 133 for only 68 dollars +shipping like 5 bucks.

The celron is fine but make sure you get a fcpga board! If you do you will be able to upgrade to a pIII easly. And you can get the celeron II's
Actually the celeron is just as good as a PII. I have never seen a PII out perform a celeron, actually its always been the other way around.

What kind of 10 gig hd are you getting? SCSI IDE FIREWIRE?

And how much are you going to spend, cuase oc3's and t3's arnt that cheap. A t3 is around 3000 a month. Well then again is it deditcated? Or are you only going ot pay for the bandwith you use?

hmmmm, I might even get a faster cpu. Its actually kinda hard to find a 533 "which is what I have in my computer". Just get a 600 or something.

Well, my computer has a 30gig 7200rpm hd, 128mb of ram, celeron 533, (overclocked to 700:). 48x cd drive. FCPGA baord. all the reg stuff. I built it this summer. And I only cost me 800, I could easly build it for a lot less now.
This is just to show you how much it might cost if you do some good shoping.

I am also going ot build a server soon here is the specs on it hopfully:)

atholon 1.2 ghz
256 ddr sdram.
2 20 gig hd's in a raid 5 config.
OS-Some version of linux
all the rest.

I'd like to see an $800 server that wouldn't melt under heavy load. :) Home computer? Yep. Server? Ahhhhh.... just warn me so I don't accidentally put a site there :):):)

no

No, it is a fairly new host that actually gives you a server for yourself and free domains and ip addresses

Chicken, thats kinda my point, Just me using it strains the hell out of it. There no way it could be a server. It would prob. blow up. nono, how about it will blow up.

and just a note all the parts for my computer were actual retail. I didnt even look at pricewatch.com ;) I am just a good shoper I guess. Or maby lucky I dunno.

Back