• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

server connection

TYCB said:
It's silly to ask but what is different from 100 Mbps and 100 mb connection port?
If your servers port, line a lan card, is 100 mb it can still be connected to a 10 mbps uplink. A 10 mbps transfers 10 megabytes per second, while a 100 mbps connection transfers 100 megabytes per second. With a 100 mbps connection the downloads from your server will be quite abit faster if you have multiple users equesting from the server and you wont get as much "page lag" during heavy useage.

TYCB said:
It's silly to ask but what is different from 100 Mbps and 100 mb connection port?

Technically, there's no difference between 100Mbps or 100mb, as tecnically speaking, they're both 100 megabit per second(around 12.5mBps).

I'd like to point out:
One answer used the term MegaBytes
Second answer used the term MegaBits

Anyone know which one is right?

(I know the answer of course, but I'm curious) ;)

Yes, Galaxy is a bit off it seems. ;)

mb = mbps = megabits per second
mB = mBps = megabytes per second

Since we're talking about network speeds, bits should be assumed.

And slightly off-topic here, but all these server offers with unmetered 10 mbit ports seem useless, especially if you plan on having any downloads. That wouldn't even max out some broadband connections these days. :confused2

Bruce said:
And slightly off-topic here, but all these server offers with unmetered 10 mbit ports seem useless, especially if you plan on having any downloads. That wouldn't even max out some broadband connections these days. :confused2

The 10mbit servers are GREAT for normal websites, or Dedicated Servers for ONE CUSTOMER who offers downloading... we've gotten nothing but great feedback.

But, not necessarily good at all for Servers that intend on "Becoming a Host" unless it's very, very, VERY controlled.

Whenever I sell one, I make it a point that the customer understands what 10mbps is.

Bruce said:
Yes, Galaxy is a bit off it seems. ;)

mb = mbps = megabits per second
mB = mBps = megabytes per second

Since we're talking about network speeds, bits should be assumed.

A 10mbs unmetered is very nice for me. I just install a IP tracking traffic shapper, and that controls the speed of the downloads in proportion to the amount of useres accessing. But as hotweel stated, it was only used for me (AKA, my site was the ONLY site on the server). It served several hundred people plus my forum with great speeds.

My issue is will file hosts or other download sites on 10mbit lines.

I have a friend with 20mbit DSL... that's downloads of 2500+ kB/s. When the entire server your downloading from has only half that bandwidth for everyone to share, it's annoying. :p

Forums and regular websites are fine on a 10mbit line for the most part because the pages are generally small enough.

Bruce said:
My issue is will file hosts or other download sites on 10mbit lines.

I have a friend with 20mbit DSL... that's downloads of 2500+ kB/s. When the entire server your downloading from has only half that bandwidth for everyone to share, it's annoying. :p

Forums and regular websites are fine on a 10mbit line for the most part because the pages are generally small enough.

I think if you are getting something for free you should be patient. If I have something up for free download that takes up alot of bandwidth, why should I pay 3,000$ a month for a 100mbs unmetered just so you can download faster? Wasn't it enough that the guy made it available for you at all?

heymrdj said:
Wasn't it enough that the guy made it available for you at all?
No one made anything available to me. My point was purely hypothetical. I 've just never liked the idea of an "unmetered" line. A larger, burstable connection with a transfer cap is better in nearly every scenario and would be similar in cost.

The OP got his answer, and this discussion certainly isn't going anywhere, so I say we forget it. ;)

Thats why for my file host im emptying my pockets (to Hottweelz?) for a nice sexy 1000mbps port. Mmm.... got to love that. My little 512k DSL connection doesn't really look so appealing to me now ;).

Last edited:
Back