• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Self-spawning Popups - What are they thinking?

Matt

Greetings,

We are currently experimenting with a few Advertising Partners. One of them, which shall remain unnamed for the duration of this testing period, pays a decent $5 CPM for advertisements which are displayed when someone reaches a "Missing File" page(404). This seems to be a rather upper-level rate in the industry, at this time, but I feel the tactics used by this company to justify the rate are unbelievable, in the extreme.

For example, when a visitor comes to the advertisement, they are greeted with the standard portal-type page which is meant to engage them and have them surf on from there and hopefully click the ads on that page and buy things. Leaving this page open, however, for even a tiny amount of time(10+ seconds?) causes two popunders to be launched simultaneously. If this is left unchecked, it would appear each popup opens yet another popup or two. There seems to be no end to it. When attempting to close a few windows after they've loaded and initialized their own code, the closing seems to trigger an even t which launches another ad.

Now, I'm not dense, I know this has been happening for at least a year or more, and this is a major reason internet users are fed up with advertising. While I agree with the justification to perhaps launch 1 more popup, or even two, this insanity of more than that is ludicrous.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I'm sure a few other companies do this...probably a few of SI's programs, FastClick's, etc. It's common practice to do this, and probably justifiable to increase pay rates.

Truthfully, though, this alienation of our own visitors is sickening. While we, publishers, must sell out to advertisers to scrape by, we throw trash at our own bread and butter, to appease the advertisers(or perhaps it's the ad networks who are to blame).

What it comes down to is this: What are Advertising Networks thinking? Are they willing to engender a hatred of online advertising to the point where even users who could usually put up with the ads, willingly go out and seek the software to block these ads? It's absolutely terrible.

What really ticks me off, though, is that I'm part of the problem and there's not one reasonable thing I can do to stop the use of these ads and still survive. By our continued use of the ads, we passively advocate and affirm our desire for these ads, the pay rates, and the means to justfiy the pay rates.

My only hope is that the Online Advertising Market grows into maturity as soon as possible. I can't wait for the day when publishers and their clientelle/visitors are treated with the same respect and dignity as print, radio, television and other well founded media.

</RANT>

Farewell,

in Agreement..

I agree with you in part, Matt.

Now, here would be an excellent solution, and in return would get popup sponsors a lot more recognition, and many more clients.

Heres what I would suggest, many of you will like this idea, because it gives you control over the sponsors ads.

You have a sponsorship that pays $5.00 CPM for 1 main ad and 4 or more popups.. (you have complete control about how many extra ads come with the single popup.)

You pay $4.50 CPM for 3 Ads, $4.00 For 2 ads, and $3.50 for 1 ad, and $3.00 for no extra popup ads.

Now this may sound goofy to begin with, but think about the solution. Most people get aprox. $3.00 CPM for having a single popup (no extra ads) , so this is the basic platform. Now if you look at companies like Sellyourexit.com(adult), Found404.com, and popupsponsor.com(they have this similar idea.. 2 choices)

You have the choice over several types of codes.. for example:

http://nerocities.com/code/pop5.cgi
http://nerocities.com/code/pop45.cgi
http://nerocities.com/code/pop4.cgi

and so on.. You choose the code you want to add, and you have total control over how many pops are on the page.. while keeping the same company.

Tell me what you think of this idea.

Jacob

Greetings,

I suppose that is a reasonable compromise, athough it may defeat your competitive advantage. I mean the main reason to stick with non-spawning popups is just that fact, and the only factor making it worth one's while to switch would be a higher pay rate. Catch-22, I guess.

Nerocities: You said you had some kind of affiliation with Found404 or another company which does advertising? Have you considered the "Pause Pages" dkAds(.com?) is looking to implement?

Farewell,

no//

I am not affiliated with Found404, I am however an affiliate in their programs.

I am interested in using these pause pages as ads, but DkAds doesnt seem to want me too since my account was not accepted LOL.

Re: no//

Originally posted by nerocities
I am not affiliated with Found404, I am however an affiliate in their programs.

I am interested in using these pause pages as ads, but DkAds doesnt seem to want me too since my account was not accepted LOL.
Same here. Pause pages are prefect for what I require. Though they don't accept any more entertainment sites. :(

Back