• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Search Engine Script?

Philip_Clark

I'm wanting to have a search on my site that searches through all the html pages on my site.

I've found many but none of them seem to be able to drill down into lower directors and none seem to be made for large sites... My directories go down about 4-5 layers so I'm really looking for a search that is specially made for large site..

Does anyone know of any search perl scripts that I could use?

Thanks a lot Chicken :)

I've never even heard of that site before but I've just had a quick look and they have lots of scripts available so I hopefully I can find one to suit my needs.

I'll let you know...

Thanks again :)

I've found many search scripts now and have installed a lot of them but they all deliver different results :(

Originally I had a "Microsoft Frontpage" search which delivers 8 results if I search for "search" but if I search for "search" under the http://www.freenet.com.au/wcgi/ search script it delivers 268 results!!!!!! :(

I can't seem to find any script that comes close to the "frontpage" search results. Why would it be doing this?

Is the frontpage search just so advanced and technical that it searches really well while the free search scripts I've downloaded aren't very good.

Can something please clear this up for me?

Whatever you do... DON'T USE A PERL SCRIPT!

It'll kill your server at least the one by Matt Whats-his-name and the other copy cats. I used one and each time someone searches it'll open and close hundreds [or even thousands] of documents and check each word to see if theres a match.

Your better off with Atomz.com or another remote server doing the work for you in the long run. Even the script that reindexes your site every week on your server is inefficient when you have a large constantly updating website.

Oh ok.

Thanks for the warning BillWill. :)

God that is bad!!!! :(

I don't really want to use a remote search as I want to have full control over it.

Are there any search scripts I could use that are any good?

Thanks a lot for responding :)

[Edited by Philip_Clark on 11-20-2000 at 09:27 PM]

Originally posted by BillWill
Whatever you do... DON'T USE A PERL SCRIPT!

It'll kill your server at least the one by Matt Whats-his-name and the other copy cats. I used one and each time someone searches it'll open and close hundreds [or even thousands] of documents and check each word to see if theres a match.

Your better off with Atomz.com or another remote server doing the work for you in the long run. Even the script that reindexes your site every week on your server is inefficient when you have a large constantly updating website.

Well, when I used flat file searching I used xavatoria (http://www.xav.com/scripts/). It built an index that it searched from. Just put that in a cron to run every night and it'll stay reasonably updated.

mjk@atlascgi.com

Back