• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Scandisk Thoroughly

The Red Guy

Dork
NLC
I try to scan my hard disk thoroughly but end up getting the error: Scandisk has restarted 10 times or more. Please quit some applications running (Something like that). I have quit all programs except Explorer.exe . Can anybody help? Thanks.

I had that problem recently and the advice I got was to leave it going when you went to bed.

Make sure you turn off unnecessary startup programs first, like firewalls, messenger etc

It was driving me nuts, but it worked, doing it that way :) It took two nights, one for defrag and one for scandisk full scan. (Speaking of which, I need to do them again, thanks for the reminder)

<edit> I just remembered, if you are able to restart in DOS, type in scandisk/surface, I didn't think before because I can't restart in DOS :cry2: that's what I used to do on my old puter it was always faster too than using Windows.

Last edited:
One of my teachers a few months back was telling us about something like this happening once, now that I think of it.

He said no matter how long they left it running, it still kept doing that.

Can't remember what the solution ended up being though. :biggrin2:

Originally posted by Jan
I had that problem recently and the advice I got was to leave it going when you went to bed.

Make sure you turn off unnecessary startup programs first, like firewalls, messenger etc

It was driving me nuts, but it worked, doing it that way :) It took two nights, one for defrag and one for scandisk full scan. (Speaking of which, I need to do them again, thanks for the reminder)

<edit> I just remembered, if you are able to restart in DOS, type in scandisk/surface, I didn't think before because I can't restart in DOS :cry2: that's what I used to do on my old puter it was always faster too than using Windows.

make a boot disk and pop it in the drive whenyou boot up and it will boot to a command and u should be able to run scandisk that way, just like dos...;)

to make a boot disk goto control panel>add/remove programs>start up disk

you will need 1 floppy disk.

and after the scandisk is done then pop out the floppy and restart ctrl + alt + delete and windows will boot

Last edited:
Sounds like Fat32 to me :p NTFS is what I rely on, what file system format do you use? I would as always reccomend using NTFS if you don't already, yes, even if your drive is smaller than 32 gigs. It will make your reliability go way up. Yeah, find a good boot disk, I am sure there are also disks just for that that will do the same thing as scan disk from DOS, if you do not have an MS-DOS based operating system use Command prompt. But this tends to happen to everyone with windows 98 and below...

Originally posted by guitarnerd
But this tends to happen to everyone with windows 98 and below...
HUH???? what does?? The Scandisk has restarted 10 times or more problem? I only ever encounted that with those OSs very occasionally and it was usually due to something running in the background.

Jan, I am talking about people who never DeFrag or scan disk, the kind of people who buy those, "As Seen On Tv Pc's" for a ridiculous price when they think they practically stole something. The people who like the fact that there desktop is covered with icons, and run AOL, and if you asked them what a defragment was there face would look like this :confused: Everytime I have ever tried to defragment somebodies computer like that, it takes at least a few days if it works at all, it is very common, in the computer illiterate world

Originally posted by Jan

Thanks. Anyway, I rebooted my com as it crashed.

Back