• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

SB Live Probs

tandoc

tandoc tandoc
NLC
I'm currently running a 5.1 sound system, not using ne special cambridge soundworks speakers or anything - my own speakers - but for some reason, my center speaker isn't playing any sound. I know for sure it is all setup correctly, because I can run the speaker test and sound comes out of each speaker. What is the problem?

Usually, the center channel is mostly used for dialogue on DVD movies.

It could be that you're trying make the center channel play music. Music typically uses 1 channel (mono) or 2 channels (stereo) playing from the left and right speakers. Unless your sound card is set up so that it simulates 5.1 surround sound from non-5.1 sound, it could simply be the case that the center channel's not used for sounds requiring only 2 channel stereo.

Originally posted by tandoc
how does one make it run 5.1 on non-5.1 files?

Okay, now that I've a sliver of time...

I know there's a setting in Creative soundcards that will do that. But since I don't have a Creative, I don't know if that's true or not.

I usually use PowerDVD to play music files in Dolby ProLogic, where it takes 2 channel sound and distributes them across the left, center, right, and surround speakers. IMO this makes the music sound hacked and chopped up.

Back