• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Saving picture as... only .bmp in IE

striker

Strike 3
NLC
I know this has probably been mentioned before, but this little bug is super irritating and I can't stand it anymore. As you probably know, sometimes when you save picture as... in ie, it will give you the option to save as and unsightly .bmp file. This is garbage because bmp takes up huge space, + I can't save animated gif anymore. I searched google and everywhere just said empty the cache, delete temp files etc. This sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't and the problem goes and comes back, goes and comes back.

Does anyone have a good and a permanent solution, other than changing the entire browser which I don't want to do????

THANKS!

Found this:

The symptoms are rather obvious: Internet Explorer, even with all of the most recent updates, may sometimes refuse to let you save images in any format other than Bitmap. The problem is caused when a "damaged" or "unknown" program is sitting in your "%systemroot%\Downloaded Program Files" folder (usually C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files). The fix is simple. First, empty your Temporary Internet Files to clear the cache (In IE, go to Tools: Internet Options, and chose "Delete Files" in the "Temporary Internet Files" section of the first tab). This can take several minutes to complete if you have allocated a lot of space. Next, browse to your 'Downloaded Program Files' folder, and delete any program that is listed as either "unknown" or "damaged." That should do it. Some users have found that other applications downloaded into that folder can cause the problem. If the above fix does not work, you may need to start removing those applications one by one to find the offender. Once the offending program is deleted, you should be able to save as the appropriate image type again.

Have you gone into the downloads folder and deleted unknowns, etc?

Back