• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Safari for Windows!

I'm on a Mac and even I don't use Safari...

I'm not sure Apple honestly expect it to take much of a market share, at least in the short term. They understand that those who care enough about their machine to download a decent browser are already going for Firefox or Opera. It will be very hard to break that unless they have something more up their sleeves.

I'm curious as to why you would select IE over Firefox though if UI is an issue, as IE7 has by far the chunkiest and most unpleasant interface of all the browsers (except maybe Safari on the PC ;)) The Firefox plugins/add-ons on their own were enough to get me to switch in my PC days.

They understand that those who care enough about their machine to download a decent browser are already going for Firefox or Opera. It will be very hard to break that unless they have something more up their sleeves.
Don't act all thick headed. Safari is a good, fast browser. Believe it, or not, but most people don't need all those addons and just want a fast, simple browser. That's what Safari is. Lately, I've found myself only using Safari 3, with a little Firefox thrown in here and there. Safari is also one of the most standard compliant browser out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't act all thick headed. Safari is a good, fast browser. Believe it, or not, but most people don't need all those addons and just want a fast, simple browser. That's what Safari is. Lately, I've found myself only using Safari 3, with a little Firefox thrown in here and there. Safari is also one of the most standard compliant browser out there.

Sorry, could you speak up a little?

If you honestly believe that Safari is going to take any significant market share away from other browsers on the PC in the short term then I think you are even more blinded by fanboyism than me ;) It's a fine default browser on the Mac, don't get me wrong and is streets ahead of IE as a default, but those users who don't want the addons etc will stay with what they are using now, and those that want the addons will move to FF.

I am also well aware that Safari 3 is pretty standards complaint (it passed Acid 2 on the PC which I've not seen another browser do - although I've only checked IE 6&7 and FF 2), but how many people out of the hardcore users do you think that appeals to?

I love Apple products, I love both of my Macs and would love them to take a decent market share, just don't expect them to do it any time soon unless they have something to offer the PC user that they don't have already.

EDIT: This assumes that the iPhone doesn't take a huge market share. If the iPhone really takes off and grabs a few % of the market in the next few years the those people developing for that may push Safari towards a decent market share.

Last edited:
I'm going to have you for ear medicine for that!

It's good and fast and not quite cross platform 'yet'

Stop doing large text :)

the only reason its been brought out is for the Iphone links up, proberly favoiutes or something like that, i dont think its going to take off and besides Firefox is better

Someone was doing a 3rd party version of this, the safari renderer thing (variant of KHTML/Konqueror iirc) was available for windows a long time ago

oh, and can we not have a browser war in here? <_<

Back