• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Running windows applications on a server?

heymrdj

The Debian Lover
NLC
I was wondering, is it possible to run Remote Desktop on a Windows Server, and use programs on it just like you would a home desktop. For example, could you take a raw video, upload it to the server, install your favorite video editor, like VDUBMOD, and run it on there?

1st. Remote desktop is installed with Windows Server. Make sure it is enabled under properties(Remote access) of my computer.

2nd - as long as the software can run on the server(most likely yes) you shouldn't have a problem .

Thanks,
Adam

So it would give me a desktop and everything to use? (I've never used it to connect to a Windows 2003 Server).

EDIT: I just wikipedia'd Windows Server 2003. It does have a normal desktop and stuff. I might seriously have to consider getting one of these for my website. There's a WHOLE lot of things I could put it to use for.

Last edited:
Remote Desktop is like your sitting at the computer! :)

Yep there is a lot you can do.

Remember if you purchase a server or vps - it may cost you more.

Shared hosting plans will not offer remote desktop - maybe you could find someone - doubtful! :)

Let me know when you start looking for a vps/dedicated server and we will be more then happy to help you.

Thanks,
Adam

Remote Desktop is like your sitting at the computer! :)

Yep there is a lot you can do.

Remember if you purchase a server or vps - it may cost you more.

Shared hosting plans will not offer remote desktop - maybe you could find someone - doubtful! :)

Let me know when you start looking for a vps/dedicated server and we will be more then happy to help you.

Thanks,
Adam

It'll definitely be a dedicated, because it will run applications so I need 100% of whatever computing power I can afford. I'm talking 29 hours of 100% work, no breaks :p. Thanks for the help, I'll start doing some research on the technologies.

Ooh, I was somewhat thinking about this (or a related idea). Could you be able to set up an applications server and put up let's say Dreamweaver MX and be able to use it from other computers? And potentially have multiple users at one time?

Ooh, I was somewhat thinking about this (or a related idea). Could you be able to set up an applications server and put up let's say Dreamweaver MX and be able to use it from other computers? And potentially have multiple users at one time?

I could see suing the software, but not multiple users. Remote Desktop "I believe" is a single user system. One user, moving the cursor at one time, unlike shell with multiple root logins.

I could see suing the software, but not multiple users. Remote Desktop "I believe" is a single user system. One user, moving the cursor at one time, unlike shell with multiple root logins.

Indeed. One user at a time (very fast i might add).
Althought You could install VNC Server on it, and share it althought VNC is alot slower, but capable of alot more clients at the same time.

As for the applications, i have experimented with Bittorent clients, Game Servers, Internet Browsers, ect.

Works fine, just like XP.

Back