• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Run free host for the learning experience ?

developer

Hello!

After been hanging around in the hosting forums for like two years now, I have found out that I really would like to work in this business sometime in the future.( Full time or as a hobby). I have among other things been working at a help desk at an ISP before and really liked the interaction with costumers and such. I also do know HTML, Javascript, PHP+mySQL, ASP etc. I think I know a little of many things :) , bit ain't deep specialized in anything really. :(

The thing that scares me is the server management part, and how to keep a server secure, but that can be learned also I guess, or out sourced.

Anyway, I am thinking about to open a free host using a reseller account(Unix, PHP, mySQL, cpanel, low space, BW accounts, FTP, no ads) somewhere, and have it for a year or so and then "convert" it to a paying host. This to learn the cpanel inside out and to how it all( many parts of it anyway) works to run a host.

Will cost me some money, but I think the learning experience will be very good, and also get me to feel if I really like to do this or not.

I am thinking to have a webpage with the domain "host" in it's name, and people that I accept will be given a code so they can sign up. (So I get them to sign the TOS, So I can disconnect them if they are way overusing their BW for instance). Is it possible to have people accepting a TOS when I am will not have a business for this.

One bad thing would be that I won't hang around all the time to answer support, I guess the ordinary ticket answer time would be 8-10 hours or so, but that might be okey with a free host for most people?

I am creating a ticket system now( PHP+mySQL), mostly just for the fun of it, but this would be a great way to test this also.

My question is, does this sounds good or is it a crazy idea? And also let's say that I host 100 free accounts for a year and support the costumers good, what could be the expecting ratio of them to follow me later to paid hosting? none...? 10% ? 20% ?

Put in your thoughts on this please. :)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I've been in the hosting business since I was 14 (I am 19 now), I started at the age of 14 offering free hosting and since have progressed to paid and don't regret it. I say go for it! More power to you!

well although I have never really been involved in the hosting business, I have always wanted to run one, but lacked the funds for it... anyway I know my advice isn't one of a expert in this field, but,
I think you should go for it, never put your ideas/dreams off to the side cause you will never end up doing it. What you have seems like its a pretty well planed plan you got there! I think you should maybe offer like 2 different free hosting plans, like on that you already had there with no ads etc and than also a bit bigger plan with Ads, that way you can make a little revenue to help you along the way.
good luck!

I say go for it! Also, if you do open it, if you would like another support tech, I know PHP, MySQL, HTML, and alot of other "stuff" about webpages and hosting, so I would be more than happy to help you with it :)

Hello! :)

I just want to give an enormous huge thank you to you people in this thread for giving me more self esteem and "dare to do it".

www.totalfreehost.com is now up and running since almost two weeks, and it's great fun. Also the cost for me is very reasonable( about $10-$20 /month).

I do host about 25 sites now, and plan to stop when I reach about 50, so that I can provide a good service and to keep my spending on this hobby at a decent level.

The trip so far has been very smooth( remember it's on a reseller account) (their uptime has been great so far,100% *knock on wood*), and I only get 1-2 support tickets/day.

I really have learned a lot on a short scope of time.

If any of you three needs help with anything I can do for you, please just let me know.

Thanks again.

go for it, I know that you can be very successful in the free hosting business with those features :)

(I am planning to offer free hosting after my paid hosting picks up, I will buy a new server just so I can host more sites for free :))

Great idea offering free hosting!

The more the better in this industry.

If your going to offer free hosting starting out, I recommend you pick up a reseller account and start from there.

Its really an excellent way to learn and with a reseller account you don't have to worry about keeping your server secure, thats handled by the company your hosted with.

Good luck in your free hosting!

:D

i am thinking of having a hosting service but i dont know how to set one up like i now how to set up ut own server but i need to now how to automaticly setup accounts, how people can acces and al these small things that a hosting service cant live without
if ne1 can help please pm me or email at xlnt@aussiewebmail.com
thanks in advance

Back