• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Roll your own?

DanQ

So would you roll your own software to automate the signups, support tickets ect or use a off the shelf script for running a free host?

I personally like to roll my own so I have full control over it.

So would you roll your own software to automate the signups, support tickets ect or use a off the shelf script for running a free host?

I personally like to roll my own so I have full control over it.

Do you license this to other hosts? Or create these systems for other hosts?

I created my own signup system. It's entirely PHP/MySQL, with email verification to cut down on the spam without being obnoxious to use.

Though it currently lacks automation into the server-side control, I think it better to have that step done manually. It really cuts down on the amount of abusive clients- as many of them thrive on instant activation, which manual creation does not provide.

Mine also supports Paypal IPN, automating the accounting aspect of it. The first payment is checked manually at a couple of points in the system, and after that it remembers the data and is able to match incoming payments to the customers that sent them.

Possibly someday I might streamline it and make it GPL for others to use, but for now I am satisfied with what it's capable of for my own needs.

Do you license this to other hosts? Or create these systems for other hosts?

No I have never created something for others to use, but it's created in RoR, with support tickets, signups and WHM, email verification ect

We do manual account creation on our side to limit abusive clients, and perhaps its way better than risking your entire server for abusive signups.

We do manual account creation on our side to limit abusive clients, and perhaps its way better than risking your entire server for abusive signups.

As silly as it might sound but an automatic account creator can be configured to only create accounts after admin verification :) It's how I do it.

Back