• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Reseller - Breaking Even

QubeHosting

Apart from lauching a website, what other ways could a reseller break even and actually make some profit, what other 'marketplaces' are there to sell services on?

Find a unique market and support it with your hosting offers.

A lot of people do this on eBay. They buy rights to some sort of program, and sell it very cheap on eBay just to get the new hosting client. I don't know this is the best way to do it, but it would be a start.

Also offering other services that have value will bring in traffic. SSL certs are a good example. Buy the Quick SSL for 10 buck and sell them for 20, or less. Some people thing is about how many you sell, not how much you sell them for, to me I'd rather sell 1 and make 10 bucks then sell 10 and make a buck each... Less to support.

Good luck.

Mark

Thanks Mark,

Ive been putting my services up on eBay for about a month though. Im offering the cheapest price possible on eBay, still not many people have signed up with me as I first expected with such a cheap price. I also think feedback may play a part in this, becasue other guys also on there sell hosting, twice as much as i sell it for, quite a few people purchase from him - despite my prices. We are both offering the same thing.

I hope things get better for me, all I want to do is at least break even, I dont even mind offering free services as long as I get donations to cover my bills.

Advertise and offer specials and stuff. Put your webhost in your signature and also get some people to be your "partners" and make them get client. Think pyramid.

Yep, the hostings in my sig now :)

As for the partners, if I bring on any partners, they are naturally going to want a bit of what I get. Right now, I havent even broken even. Im not interested in profit at this point, I just dont want to be losing anything.

Webex,

No matter what anyone says... Hosting is a hard business to get in. So many people have a cheap dedicated server and think they can be a host. Then to get business they so under cut them selfs and over promise the world.

There are people who are willing to pay for good services, not just hosting. Find these people and sell your products to them.

Think about it this way. 10 hosting accounts for 5 dollars each = 50. 10% never pay thier bill, 30% are late with their bills. 15% need help atleast twice a month. Sure its not much work for 10 clients, but for 1,000 or 10,000 clients that it takes to pay the bills and live your self really adds up.

Find the clients who know what they are doing and know they get what they pay for. I'd rather support 100 clients at 20 dollars a month then 100 clients at 5 dollars a month. Time is money, and if a client at 5 dollars a month asks 3 questions he has wasted more time of yours then he or she might be worth.

I might sound like hard ---, but its the facts of hosting. Why do you think these big companies sell reseller accounts? I'd rather support 40 resellers then support 400 shared clients and make the same money.

Good luck.

Mark

The main thing here is actually getting to those people who know what they are doing, and understand that they get what they pay for, thats seems to be the problem.

I also understand to get these people to come to you, you need reputation, for example, everyone knows to go to 'GoDaggy' or 1&1 for hosting simply because of their reputuation and the service they provide. These people's sites are probaly very small and simple and could be hosted with anyone...

Right now, Im working by the phrase, 'Its better to make a fast penny, than a slow pound'. As you can see, this is applies to the hosting I provide in my sig...

Its true about the service and time. I too would rather provide 100 clients at 20 dollars a month than 100 at 5 dollars a month. But to get the clients in the first place, you need to set resonable prices. I dont believe there is any use of some guy with a dedicated server setting the same prices as 1&1, it wouldnt make sense.

However, right now as Ive just been in it all for a few months, I think its about getting something in to make everything run smoothly. Ive also contacted a few free subdomain hosting companies for me to offer them free hosting to some extent to go with their free DNS services, something I was really looking forward too, they havent replied back to as yet :(

Hope everything goes well for the new upcoming month November....

It means,

By selling a package for £5 /month you may only get 3 customers which sign up. You earn £15

By selling the same package for £3 /month you may get 7 customers which sign up. You earn £21

Do you really think more people will just choose the 3 pounds a month package just because it's 2 pounds cheaper? :tired2:

Please report back to FWS in a few months on how you did with those strategies.

Well, Ive been using it for about a month or two.

It hasnt been worked as I expected. Thats why Im here to try and get some tips, I want to use them for the new month of November.

I think its best if you build your reputation first, do that by providing the best support you can... then offer plans that won't give you little to no profit.

After your more established and people know your name and start referring you... boost up your plans and give a reason for it :p

QubeHosting,

For one reason, you are not being honest with your clients, from an exact quote from your website, you state this:
The Qube Advanced Unlimited consists of unlimited resources such as web space, bandwidth,

As everyone knows, or should know, apart from you it would seem, is that Unlimited web space and bandwidth is impossible, you simply cannot have an unlimited hard drive, and even if you keep adding new hard drives, you still have a limit... Bandwidth is also limited, it's not a set cost, it changes to the amount you use.

The reason you don't get many customers, is because you are a scam artist, you scam people with your unlimited space and transfer without caring about the customer. The problem with this, is only the idiots are going to fall for your scam, the reason you don't get many customers is because people laugh when they see your hosting, as they know it's a scam.

The problem does not come in the fact that you are running a scam, it comes in the fact that it seems that you do not know you are running it... If you where stupid enough to fall for an "Unlimited Reseller" account, then more fool you, your business deserves to fail because the owner does not know the first thing about hosting, or the current hosting market.

Try treating your customers, or potential customers, with respect, don't offer what you can't.

PS; If you are going to argue, please search this forum for unlimited disk space and bandwidth, everyone agrees with me.

Your just a Grade A scammer.

No company can offer unlimited resources, especially hosts, but I wouldn't call it a scam, either. It's just a technicality.

Back