• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

[REQ] Custom Dedicated Plans

Never_pay

After 4 shared hosts,our community is in need of a dedicated server.Too many databases on one server is making out board crawl and sometimes time out.
So far we have been with four different hosts and one main issue is support.Little to none on all and many errors have accured due to the support not knowing what they are doing.

We are looking for a dedicated server that can host ONLY a messageboard that in the future,will have a portal added.I know some may think it is crazy to pay for a dedicated server just for a messageboard,but we do have a busy board.

bandwidth for this week is 1377.88 Megabytes,,,, we just moved to a new host this week,which so far has been anything but nice.Plus two days ago,support said they could do nothing until Monday,,,,I dont call that support.
I can supply more info if needed if I have it.Like I said,just moved in this week.
Can anyone supply some quotes or links please.
Thank you.

Would like to NOT go over $25/month.Not sure if that is possible for dedicated,but thats why I ask for a custome plan rather than a full blown one already set.
Would also like to note that we do NOT want windows server.

You won't get a decent server for $25 monthly. Maybe you can get a VERY lowend server in a bad datacenter. $50 monthly is the absolute minimum, and then you can expect a 800 MHz server without any control panels.

Never_pay said:
We are looking for a dedicated server that can host ONLY a messageboard that in the future,will have a portal added.I know some may think it is crazy to pay for a dedicated server just for a messageboard,but we do have a busy board.

How many members online at the same time? With $25/month, you never find out a dedicated server. even VPS, it should be $40 at least, but it's limited by memory, that I dont recommend if you have a busy board. Let us know more about your forum

We have just over 800 members and on average,I say 12 at a time.
Now I know this request seems bizzar and that such a request that a messageboard only go on a dedicated server,but so far with all the hosts we have tried,we are having DB issues.The issue being that there seems to be too many on one server and it makes our board (phpbb2) run worse that a remotely hosted board.We have asked to be put on different,less occupied servers,but after awhile,those gets crowded and we end up in the same boat again.
Our board,which will soon be getting a portal system,has about 10 different hacks/mods installed as well.Some tend to think that this is the reason for it being sluggish.It is not,as I have seen highly bloated boards of the same browse like lightning.

We feel that by getting onto a dedicated server,we wont have to worry about somebody else slowing us down.

Now this is unless someone can dirct me to a shared host that I wont have this issue as well as TRUE 24/7 support.That is another issue we have had with these hosts.One did move us onto another server at one time after we said it was slow,but they did it when we least expected it and it really set things off.They told us they would do it but let us know first,they didnt.
Another just simply took their sweet time getting back to us.

One reason for seeing if we can find the cheapest one,is this money comes from one persons pocket and we feel the need NOT to ask members for donations.
Perhaps there truely is a shared host that meets out needs,I have just yet to find it.

Thank you for your replies.

Fast edit:
Here are latest stats:
Total posts: 14653 | Total topics: 815 | Posts per user: 18.16 | Posts per day: 255.93 | Topics per day: 14.24 | Users per day: 14.10

Last edited:
ok, 12 members at a time is not a big number, and I dont know why you met issue. Maybe your current host is overselling his server.

To be honest, we dont have TRUE 24/7 support (and I believe many other hosts dont have, they just dont tell you), but your ticket will be answered max in 8 hours, usually within 10 - 60 minutes. If you think it's acceptable, we have servers at The Planet and Savvis (comming soon), and we can host your forum. We never overselling server, so can make sure that with 20 members at a time, your forum will be fine.

Let me know if you are interested

I have an empty server that I can use to host your forum. This is a 2.8 GHz P¤ with 1 GB RAM. The server is located in The Planet. Please contact me directly if you're interested.

You have to make sure the host is not over selling, and the best you are going to do with the 24/7 support is about $400/month. We are currently adding servers and not available for sales, but the best support we can offer is 6 hrs. from the time the email is sent. We do offer telephone support, but that is only when our datacenter is open and is not for extreme technical support, something that we don't have to be physically at the datacenter to do. You have to make a ticket for problems that can’t be resolved over our remote automated systems and it will be fixed within 48 hrs of the placement of the ticket or money back. Our guarantee is 98% uptime or your money back and we stand by that strongly. Our hours are from 10am to 8 pm eastern time USA, Florida. You might have to go to verio.com or host.bcentral.com to include true 24/7 support. Dealing with the dbs, the problem is that your host is not giving enough ram to run that amount of people, 1GB of ram with normally run 14-15 people on the server at a time. 2GB will give you about 23-24 people on the server at a time. Please contact me via msn messenger for any more questions.

Last edited:
Hi,

For a managed dedicated server (and by managed I mean, a team of staff who are monitoring, upgrading, fixing and on-hand 24/7 to help you) you will need to pay around:

P4 2.8GHZ
1GB RAM
2x 80GB hard drives (Western Digital 8MB cache)
cPanel/Webhost Manager
300 GB bandwidth
8 IPs
Full Server Management
$350/month + setup fee

If it is less than this price, but offering the same, be very very worried about the stability and honesty of your host.

Last edited:
You would have to be out of your mind to pay $350/month or more for a host. Reseller or no reseller you can probably get a better deal than THAT.

The problem is that today, true 24/7 support is only with 1.28% of the webhosts out there. So you really can't do better. Unless you are willing to sacrifice the support, then you are looking at around $50/month-$100/month.

fultz835 said:
You would have to be out of your mind to pay $350/month or more for a host. Reseller or no reseller you can probably get a better deal than THAT.

I have a good deal of customers who would be offended at that!

As it is, a company who pays salaries to their staff will simply have no option but to charge that much for the service.

Sure, you can pay for just the hardware - but if you set out today to try and buy a server, you may be surprised at the costs involved. Someone offering you a deal which sounds too good probably is.

Most people are resellers of other people's hosting, Thanks Will for backing me up. Until you try to come up with the money to run servers it is a lot more then you think. We have a datacenter and that is twice as much to run then just buying from the planet. And as a result, we had to cancel free web hosting.
Although I can see your point, "it is too expensive", But I host mostly local companies and they are willing to pay for a service that is backed by a reliable company.

Last edited:
@Never_pay, a big reseller account shoudl do fine for you, or a vps, getting a server for even 50$ is not worth it, since you probably wont get any kind of support, perhaps i can offer you a good deal on a reseller plan, pm me if your intrested.

Back