• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Remote Connection to MySQL

CrazyaZnBoii

I have MySQL 4.1 running on Linux, I don't know how to enable remote access. Can someone teach me please.

Thank you,
CrazyaZnBoii

Do you want people to be able to see a virtual desktop, command line like SSH or something like phpMyAdmin?

Lot more needed - and you will have to ensure an open port dependant on your connection method (LAN, ADSL, dial-up, etc.)

It's just an MySQL server hosted at my house. So I don't have Cpanel but I have phpMyAdmin running on apache 2. My port (3306) is open.

Regards,
CrazyaZnBoii

Last edited:
Nahhh, I know how thing works but I use to host on windows so it work fine and then when I switched to linux I couldnt do remote access anymore =/ I dont know why.

Something's up with your configuration on something. Do you allow connections on port 3306 after the OS change?

What version of Linux are you using?

Ubuntu? I've never heard of it, so I can't really help you. Does it come with a GUI like GNOME or KDE? If so, just look around in the network part and make sure the MySQL port is open.

Tree said:
Ubuntu? I've never heard of it, so I can't really help you. Does it come with a GUI like GNOME or KDE? If so, just look around in the network part and make sure the MySQL port is open.
Depends on the Ubuntu version...from my knowledge there is GNOME ubuntu and KDE kubuntu....

CrazyaZnBoii said:
Nahhh, I know how thing works but I use to host on windows so it work fine and then when I switched to linux I couldnt do remote access anymore =/ I dont know why.

You should try installing Webmin, it's a local administration software like Cpanel. Although I am using Fedora, when you first install Ubuntu, it might be activating the firewall and closing the MySql port. I suggest you first check if firewall is on and if it's then check the rules.

Or just get used to remote access through linux - bit to complex to get into here but look up 'linux remote control' or 'vnc - which comes as part of most Linux distros' on google - you'll find VNC.

Download and install is easy and a real ease to use too.

Then you can be actually be at the machine, rather than just remote services.

So really no need to install on the server if it was a typical install and any remote system would require about 2 minutes.

Decker said:
Or just get used to remote access through linux - bit to complex to get into here but look up 'linux remote control' or 'vnc - which comes as part of most Linux distros' on google - you'll find VNC.

Another good remote access software is NX. The address of the free version is http://freenx.berlios.de/

Back