• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

registrars...stupid question...

subwaydesigns

Ok, I'm completely new to this, so bear with me.

Let's say I want to get my domain name registered from a registrar (I'll use http://www.gandi.net as an example, cause they're simple+cheap).
I get an account there, and click on "your domain name". I give them the adress I would like to have, and fill in the IDs for billing and stuff. So far I'm ok on my own, but then the third part is "enter the first and second server names and their IPs".
So what if I have 2 free servers, 1 account at www14.brinkster.com/whatever
and another at
www.whatever.f2s.com
How do I get the IP number and what should I put in as server name?
Thanks for your help,
Subway

They are asking for dns servers (domain name servers).
Either you have to get a host that supports domainhosting, or you will have to use redirection (with mydomain for example).

The nameservers for mydomain are:

Name: NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM
IP: 216.34.13.236

Name: NS2.MYDOMAIN.COM
IP: 64.75.34.132

Name: NS3.MYDOMAIN.COM
IP: 64.75.34.140

Name: NS4.MYDOMAIN.COM
IP: 64.75.34.134

You have to signup for an account at mydomain.com first, and then add your domain to your account via the members area. (That's free, of course) Then just put in the nameservers and their corresponding IP's when your registar asks for them. Then, all you have to do is wait a few days (or hours, it depends) for the DNS to update, and your domain will redirect to your site.

I have bought some domains from gandi so can say something...
they are NOT simple in fact complex ids,logins...
also not cheap

try godaddy or stargateinc

Thanks for your help, I'm less confused now.
You're right sense, I was actually considering godaddy, seems simpler and they hve an ok website (which is important for me).

Back