• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Reformat

baileyrein

I was using my computer yesterday and suddenly it was black out.. I did not save my important files because I was doing something important then.. when there is already a current, I hurriedly on my computer and sad to say it always rebooted... I shows the Windows then offs automatically... anyone know how to get my important files.. really need it...

Try making the drive into a slave drive on another computer or take the drive and put it into a external enclosure and back up that way.

Do you have an extra hard drive? The easiest thing to do would be probably be to do what Reaper28 said. Get a different hard drive, back the files on to it and reformat the hard drive that is corrupt and reinstall windows.

Could always toss your xp? disk into the computer and do a repair install. It will keep all your files and such but redo all the windows stuff to correct any possible errors. Saved me a few times. If not then what stuff and Reaper said.

You could use a Linux livecd, such as NimbleX. Have a friend burn you a cd and select boot into "Ram" and remove the cd. Then you can get any Windows files you want, copy them to a flash drive or burn them to a cd. I've used this OS to rescue a computer that had a corrupted file that wouldn't allow Windows XP to boot. What makes this OS a good choice to have around is XP files are writable so you can fix most problems. Hope this helps! :wink2:

use the widows repair console and run a chkdsk /r /p (you don't have to use the p, but I just like to). This will repair corrupted system files and restore normal booting. I would however take the advice of making an image first.

How to know if this method is needed. If you make it to the windows repair console and use the DIR command and you get the error: “An Error Occurred During Directory Enumeration”

I suggest using an OS like LinuxonaStick, it would be faster for you, that way you can get the files you require onto a USB Stick or External HDD, then re-format your PC.

[UW]Glenn;1047443 said:
I suggest using an OS like LinuxonaStick, it would be faster for you, that way you can get the files you require onto a USB Stick or External HDD, then re-format your PC.

That's a good idea, but in some cases if windows can't read the partition (which may or may not be the case there) then Linux, or any other pre-boot environment may not be able to read it ether.

That's a good idea, but in some cases if windows can't read the partition (which may or may not be the case there) then Linux, or any other pre-boot environment may not be able to read it ether.

That being the case, running some disk management software on LOAS will fix it unless the hard drive is FUBAR.

Back