• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

RedRival to experiment with Google-like Text Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

Greetings,

After much discussion, and skepticism on my part, I've been convinced to experiment with selling Advertising Inventory without the middle-man, direct to the Advertiser. These ads, however, will follow Google's groove and will be solely textual. Some discussion on this decision is needed...

I was once an FWP seeking Internet user, myself. This is one of the reasons I started a host of my own and the primary reason for going with the type of advertisements I have chosen. Criss-crossing from host to host, like many do these days, I was painfully aware of the advertising styles in use. Popups, in-browser popups, popunders, banners top and below, etc., etc. While going ad free was certainly the best a member could hope for, after a certain time it became infeasible, considering the decreasing pay rates throughout the brief history of the internet. Once ads became a necessity, it was then a choice of choosing the lesser of umpteen evils. While operating RedRival over the years, going from banners, top and bottom, to popups that never ended--not to mention the javascript in each format that inevitably crashed a number of visitors browsers--to the Bravenet.net-style "ad bar", it became clear that, as a user and as an operator, a balance needed to be met between intrusiveness, annoyance, advertiseable traffic, and pay rate.

While popups are certainly a good bet these days, and a good pay rate can be found with reliable partners, it is still an intrusive format.

To lessen the agressiveness of the ads, RedRival has instituted an essentially ad-free period of 15minutes, every 15 minutes. You can surf RedRival, from site to site, without seeing a single ad(barring our Searchbox at the bottom of each page). If you've been surfing for 15 minutes, you'll see one popup. Then you'll surf for another 15 minutes ad-free. Combining this with frequency caps put on by advertisers, you may not see an ad all day.

And this has worked, and worked well. It's an excellent compromise between ad agressiveness, pay rate, and visitor comfort.

But I think we can all do one better than this, especially if the environment and business model you operate under allows it. But this alone doesn't explain the reasoning behind text ads.

As a format FWP-user, I knew ad-free was preferable to anything else. But, we all know that isn't feasible. So the next step up was banners, for FWPs, and later popups.

But it wasn't the next--best--step up.

Text ads, if executed well, with enough demand, are a natural progression from ad-free to banners. No siezure-inducing flashing, no bulky images, no annoying monkeys, no crash-prone scripting, etc., etc.

This is the reasoning behind my experimentation with Text Ads. Google has apparently proven it can work through large amounts of small orders. F*****Company.com also recently launched HTTPADS.com, with the experience that spur-of-the-moment, small-buy advertising was profitable and a good direction to travel in. And this is the logic that has bred the desire to go into textual advertising. FWP users like it--rather, prefer it, as ads are usually looked down upon--and it can combine attributes of banners, buttons, classified-types, etc. all without needing to be a artist nor take the time and effort putting into perfecting the creative. It is simple, straight forward text, designed in a language FWP users already know: HTML.

And this is where it becomes really important. Knowing full well there are many Networks out there providing text ads, but not the necessary pay rate or model which has proven to work in this environment, I have chosen to allow the actual FWP Members to become involved and, in fact, become _the_ advertisers. Moreso, if this experiment proves nothing else, it will show whether or not FWP members really care for less-aggressive, more professional looking ads with their free hosting, or if they'd simply go right along with intrusive, annoying advertising.

---

This isn't meant to claim to be something new. It's simply an explanation of an experiment I think will be fundamental in determining what FWP seekers want and what they're willing to(or pony up) to get the absolute best of free hosting and the advertising that necessarily comes with it.

So, let me put it out there, what do other FWP owners think? Any ideas, suggestions? Any previous experience doing this type of thing? Let me know, I'm very interested in seeing this be successful, not solely for the money(although a real salary would be nice :)), but to be successful in providing a comfortable surfing atmosphere, while providing free hosting.

More information and insight can be found here, at the RedRival Support Forum Updates:
http://www.redrival.com/discuspro/messages/23/1708.shtml

Farewell,

Greetings,

To all who care: :D

RedRival will be introducing RedRival Network Advertising, using the aforementioned text ads, as Google has done and continues to do. The launch will be made in a 14-21 days, depending on how things go.

There will be a test phase begun, within the next week, to weed out problems and get everything on track.

I'll be updating via the RedRival Support Forums on the progress and performance of the new system.

Farewell,
PS. Wish the next-step-for-FWPs luck! :)

yer good look, hope it goes well for you.

I am going to try and change all my ads over to use text as much as possible to save bandwidth and stuff, and it loads faster and gets better response, Please tell us what kind of results you get.

Greetings,

Just to Update everyone:

Although I said I'd launch a test phase in the next few days(last week), I've found numerous deficiencies which needed work on. I'm also including functionality which will be ready for the test phase, which I had not planned on release until later.

Hopefully, by the end of the week I'll be able to launch into a test phase.

Anyone with a willingness to create good, high quality HTML creatives and a little time to setup the account and create a campaign can signup during this test phase and receive free advertising on the RedRival Network. This is simply to help me test everything out to ensure it's ready for a full release(so please don't consider this spam).

Farewell,

Greetings,

I guess I overestimated the time until the test phase, as that time is now upon us! Most functionality(all 'required' functionality) is now available in our Advertiser Control Panel.

Anybody wishing to help Beta Test our ACP, by signing up, running campaigns, managing campaigns, and whatnot, is welcome to come over and try it out. Campaigns made in the ACP will, of course, be confirm by the Administrator, but they will go live(without payment, as this is the test phase) so that the entire system can get a workout.

So, if you'd like to help out with testing and get a little exposure for yourself, please go to http://adcp.redrival.net and create your account. You'll immediately be able to login and proceed with designing your campaigns.

If you have any feedback, feel free to post to this thread, at the RedRival Forums, or using the "Send us your Comments" link in the ACP.

The Beta Test Phase should last, at least, a few days.

Farewell,

Greetings,

We have been receiving reports of other affiliate search programs that had bad run-ins with traffic sent by RedRival.com.

We are looking for a place where affiliate program operators can share their experiences and voice their concerns as to RedRival's business practices.

If you are an affiliate program operator and wish to share information on traffic received by RedRival.com (or any questionable affiliates) please contact me. We welcome both positive and negative reports and will launch an investigation if warranted.

Also, if you are a web publisher and thinking about buying traffic from RedRival's new advertising program you may want to do a thorough investigation as to the sources (both nationality and web site) and quality of said traffic.

Last edited:
Greeting,

Low, Robert, low. Even for you.

You could've replied to a thread specifically questioning RedRival, like I have done in the past with threads questioning SI. You could've stated some facts. You could've asked for others opinions of RedRival. You could've researched a little yourself the reputation the RedRival name carries in the way it has operated, ethically and fairly, over the past three years. You could've provided independent resources for potential Advertisers to research more into how RedRival operates.

You could have. But wait a minute, there's only one company here that has a track record, through various reviews and many people's written personal experiences with your company, reflecting so damningly on your practices and business ethic.

I thought your act of revealing our financial information, in the form of earnings, to within $16 dollars, to be the epitome of brutal conduct, unbecoming of what your company should stand for. This is almost up there. Keep trying, though. Your petty, low morals might not get in the way next time.

As for myself and RedRival, I'll let our track record speak for itself.

DEEDS SPEAK, ROBERT.

Farewell,
PS. Forgot to mention. I'd be glad to oblige your request for forums to discuss RedRival's practices. Simply visit AdSense.org. Unlike some forums, namely SI's SICTALK.com forums, RedRival has not been known to censor information which might be harmful to our reputation. Rather, we politely discuss the issue with the person and explain the situation. Most of the time, these same people walk away with a different attitude and perspective on RedRival, which is more than I can say for some people.

Last edited:
My name is Robert, not Ron.

My post is almost a verbatim copy of Matt's post in a thread that didn't concern him. I've been going thru past posts and seeing that every time SI's name is mentioned Matt pops up with a "warning" about SI.

Why are you afraid of me making similar comments? Especailly now that RedRival is in the business of selling traffic and is a direct competitor to my company?

I will have no problem raising my right hand in a court of law to swear that another search affilaite program contacted me about issues with RedRival's traffic.

Why are you two gentlemen upset that I would counsel anyone thinking about buying advertising to thoroughly check the source of that advertising?

What is there to hide?
Why are you afraid?

>>>>>>>>>>>
PS. Forgot to mention. I'd be glad to oblige your request for forums to discuss RedRival's practices. Simply visit AdSense.org. Unlike some forums, namely SI's SICTALK.com forums, RedRival has not been known to censor information which might be harmful to our reputation. Rather, we politely discuss the issue with the person and explain the situation. Most of the time, these same people walk away with a different attitude and perspective on RedRival, which is more than I can say for some people.
>>>>>>>>>>>>

Matt,

Your nose is growing.

I find it amusing how you refer to yourself in the 3rd peron continuously on your "impartial" website.

I find it interesting that you fail to disclose that the only person complaining is you.

I find it funny that you fail to disclose that "RedRival.com" that is lodging the complaint against SI is the same person that runs the complaint forum under an assumed name.

I wonder why you never contacted me or anyone from SI to give our side on your "impartial" web forum.

Good luck with your advertising. I hope that persons interedted in sending you a check for their hard earned money get good value for it.

For obvious reasons (if you have read this thread...) we do not allow complaints of ad companies from other ad companies, even if they are not direct competitors.

So, no more arguing between the two of you Matt and Robert will be tolerated. Or you get banned.

And Matt: As I have closed this thread to stop this fight, feel free to start a new thread when your program officially opens. However, please respect that this is not your programs support or announcement forum. Post such messages on your own forum or via email to your members. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back