• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

RedRival Is Changing

Matt

RedRival has been operating since 1998 in one fashion or another in the traditional free hosting market. We have been very quiet over the past few years but are still going strong. Over twenty thousand members now call RedRival home, many highly valued, paying customers, at the same time, with our Free & Clear Upgrade package. In previous months we have seen traffic in the range of thirty million hits. We know the free hosting market is insatiable.

We also know that the market is well serviced and getting cleaner with the likes of Geocities and other major players moving to the forefront. We know we can not compete with that. That's why we're changing. RedRival will no longer service the traditional free hosting market. Our existing members will have a home with us for the mid term, but we are moving on.

RedRival is aiming to service a niche part of the free hosting market: Those who are comfortable with free, barebones hosting - and yet with perks. Perks such as PHP and FTP access not commonly available in other free hosts. The catch? We want your content. RedRival will not use disruptive advertising. There will be ads, but a premium hosting option will be provided at a $1.99/month which removes ads. We have plans for new features in the premium hosting, as well, for down the line.

As always, I welcome any comments, suggestions or criticisms.

If you're interested and feel comfortable with basic, clean hosting, I invite you to come see us at:

http://www.redrival.com

A note to anyone signing up for our services as a result of this post: Please be aware there will be a wait before your account is fully setup.

Actually, 2MB webspace in the free hosting and 20MB in the premium hosting. :) I know it seems small but we're beginning a measured entrance into a niche market. If you want the necessary features to get yourself going with reliability and stability in mind, RedRival is for you.

I see all these posts in these forums with post-to-host and great looking plans, but the free hosting market is the same as it ever was: Companies think they can make lots of money very easily if they just offer the world. The truth is, it's not that simple. We've been around. Even though we've had our moments where everyone thought we would go away, we're still here. These hosts offering the world, they're just like it was a few years ago, they'll find they can't make money, get hacked, lose data, and die out.

20 mb for premium web space!!! Even if you are starting small...with those stats nobodys going to sign up....

Well, the very reason I posted the first reply to my lead post was that we had a great influx of signups simply because I posted here.

Clearly, we're after a niche market. The reason our features are as they are is because we're looking for quality content to host. We'll let all the new hosts try to compete with your Geocities, and the like, and we'll do what we've always done, remain reliable, stable and with a unique featureset. :)

The aforementioned delay in processing account signups has now ended. Signups and account setup are now live. Accounts are setup within 15 minutes of email confirmation.

HTML and PHP are actually tiny. All of the HTML, PHP and Perl code that makes up the complete front and backend systems for RedRival amounts to less than 500KB.

The real space is taken up by images, flash, MP3s, etc. Done right, the supporting images and even flash for a nice website could take up the rest of the 2MB we currently offer.

We're looking for content and we're willing to provide the tools for content creators to get their work done. We may, in fact, consider raising the disk quota for each account - the reason it is what it is now is to encourage content creation rather than simply storage, file linking, etc. So, if you feel there's a valid reason for more space or any other feature, let us know, we'd love to know and we'll take the time to consider adding. Just like we did with PHP5 and SQLite.

not really, matt has a valid point, if you get offered 2gb and 50gb for free, what will you do with it all? well i reckon 10mb would be better but one suggestion, how much bandwidth are you given?

We currently offer 1GB/month transfer. That has always been a very subjective limit. If an account is doing 1GB or even 100GB of quality transfer (ie. making us profit by payment or by advertising) we'll let the account stay on.

i think you need to increase it to about 20 mb atleast if you are interested in hosting people.

nowadays the hosting battlefiled has changed!

i agree that not many people use the amount they say they need, but i thin 2 mb is too small.

We'll definitely have to see about upping that. The key to encourage content rather than file storage so we'll have to find a compromise situation(limiting file sizes, prohibiting file extensiojns, for instance).

I'm already reconsidering the disk quota on our premium hosting. I'm sure we can go much higher with that. I will likely make that change soon.

most of php scripts + mysql database are more than 2mb.
i think your target is newbies that only can make static simple site.
there are tons of free hosting service offering small space out there.

The fact of the matter is that people are looking to host good quality websites these days. They want fancy images, a mySQL and php backend, control panels and they want alot more than 2mb space. Even people that are creating blogs will use more space than that, and that seems to be the latest craze. People who are willing to display ads (however reliable you may be) will typically go for the hosts offering the larger packages, and there are plenty of people out there that can provide that reliably.

And the 20mb premium package is quite crazy. I believe that $2 per month will buy you roughly between 500mb and 1gb of quality webspace, and that includes alot of bandwidth, control panels, auto-installers, uptime guarantees etc. etc. and people wont pay that kind of money unless they are very ill-informed. I think you need to seriously reconsider your offerings.

Just my thoughts,
Chris

Thanks for the suggestions. I always seriously consider enhancing our hosting options. We're already in the midst of deciding just exactly how to enhance our premium hosting. It's not longer a question of if, but when. I'm also seriously considering enhancing our free hosting options, as well. This one is tougher as we want to keep out a lot of the unprofitable hosting we observed in the past. Hopefully we can tune our hosting such that we attract the segment of the market that know exactly what they need to get job done.

If you have any specific features you'd like to see in our hosting, please let me know.

Back