• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Redhat Linux 7.1: Booting failed!

Myth_Pharoah

Hey guys!

Yesterday I got 3 Redhat 7.1 cds free with a book I bought on it.
Now I installed it (the thing took an hour to install) and during installation it made a boot floppy for me. Later after installation finished I put the boot disk in and rebooted my computer. Its said something like this:

Redhat Linux 7.1: Booting failed...

Then I had to press a key and it started Windows if I removed the floppy.

Anyway one have any idea?

<<REMOVED: Do not increase your post count by being rude.>>

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Myth_Pharoah
What do you mean meow?
He means he's a general freak.

Anyway, what happens when you boot without the boot disk? It should work then.

Maybe it's a sign from God. :)

It's been awhile since I've used Linux, but you seem to be doing everything right.

Just make sure you don't care much about that floppy...

I don't know much about linux but when I installed corel linux, I had to boot into command promt only and get into linux from there
cd\cdl I think

With Red Hat, shouldn't you have LILO installed? Using LILO to dual boot (you can set it to default to win98, or to linux, after a certain number of seconds if you want) would be a lot easier than booting with a floppy.

LILO is optional

either you install it in the boot sector
or a "diferent version" into a floppy

But if you installed lilo on the floppy
your master sectors might not be OK and you cant boot to linux.

If I were you,
I'd install RedHat along with LILO on the HardDisk

Make sure you use particionMagic to create some linux particions
Linux Partition and SwapFile partition

Or you can use the installers partitioning app, but its more "harder" to understand,
PartitionMagic is more user-friendly, but the linux installer's partionioning app is more reliable. You choose, but you will still need to configure the partitions mayde with partitionmagic with the linux installer

Flash!

Make sure you put LILO on the first sector of the Linux partition and not on the Master Boot Record or you're gonna say bye-bye to Windows.

Originally posted by Coolin
Make sure you put LILO on the first sector of the Linux partition and not on the Master Boot Record or you're gonna say bye-bye to Windows.

The setup version I had didnt offer this option. It was either
[ ]Install To HD
[ ]Install To Floppy
[ ]Don't Install

Originally posted by SlashTek.com
The setup version I had didnt offer this option. It was either
[ ]Install To HD
[ ]Install To Floppy
[ ]Don't Install
I'd try install to HD, but that's only because I don't really care about my data.

Great. Thanks for you replies guys. But the only sad thing is I'm not familiar with the hardware tersm such as Master Boot sector and First Sector of the HD and stuff. Basically you can consider me a nincompoop who is trying to install Linux. I'm pretty familiar with Computer but in a normal way. No geek!

So I reallyt need some basic advice! :)

I don't think so... isn't it supposed to be on the master boot record? I'm pretty sure that's where it is, and it works just fine for me, dual booting with win98 and linux partitions. As long as the windows partition isn't changed, LILO should always be able to boot to windows, shouldn't it? Anyhow, master boot record or first sector or whatever, the place it installed LILO on the hard drive by default in Red Hat 7.0 worked for me.

If you use Partition Magic, that would (at least usually) come along with Boot Magic, which is sort of like a LILO for dummies. ;)

Incorrect. Unlike Windows, RedHat won't decide that it's the only OS you can run. It will put in the option in lilo or grub to boot into windows or linux.

Before you install, make sure that you have an open partition to put linux into though.

-mk

Originally posted by atlas
Incorrect. Unlike Windows, RedHat won't decide that it's the only OS you can run. It will put in the option in lilo or grub to boot into windows or linux.
Yeah, but if you don't know what lines of code to put in the LILO configuration in order to boot windows (like me) making LILO your boot manager = certain death.

Back