• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

RapidLeech-A worst Nightmare for webhosts...

macaws

To all those new hosts.... You will soon find out the terror residing in Rapid Leech. I did not even know what it was when I came into the business, because I don't pirate crap off RapidShare like some people do. Let me just warn all hosts new to the business... keep a lookout for it. I found numerous accounts on my server with it.... Only 4 accounts, but it almost destroyed the full server. It eats up your space and bandwidth. If you own a host... CHECK FOR RAPIDLEECH.
Just a heads up to the new people....
Mason

To all those new hosts.... You will soon find out the terror residing in Rapid Leech. I did not even know what it was when I came into the business, because I don't pirate crap off RapidShare like some people do. Let me just warn all hosts new to the business... keep a lookout for it. I found numerous accounts on my server with it.... Only 4 accounts, but it almost destroyed the full server. It eats up your space and bandwidth. If you own a host... CHECK FOR RAPIDLEECH.
Just a heads up to the new people....
Mason

This has been brought up before.

Does rapidleech bypass WHM/Cpanel bandwidth measuring?. Because if not, I don't understand how it could be a "nightmare" for anyone. Any serious host will monitor their clients accounts - especially after a new signup - and see what they put on it. I've had people put that crap on their accounts and terminated them.

The only possible way it would be a nightmare is if your stupid enough to let it sit on your server for a week or two.

*No comment*
I don't want any fighting. If I wanted to have any big fight, then I would go to the mybboard.net community. Trust me. I've been there.

*No comment*
I don't want any fighting. If I wanted to have any big fight, then I would go to the mybboard.net community. Trust me. I've been there.

This has nothing to do with fighting. I was asking why you thought it was a nightmare.

Nothing new but it kills your CPU rather bad. Free hosting usually has these issues or cheap hosting.

It should be easy to check "what" kills your cpu before it kills your server.

This has been brought up before.

Does rapidleech bypass WHM/Cpanel bandwidth measuring?. Because if not, I don't understand how it could be a "nightmare" for anyone.

It can't bypass bandwidth measuring, but it uses the server's connection to download garbage from Rapidshare As such, it puts a huge strain on the CPU because the server is trying to dish out web pages but instead has to process garbage coming in. THAT'S WHY it's a nightmare. Because it takes like 15 minutes to login via SSH to shut it down. It's almost as bad as spam.

I'm working on a script for hosts that the server runs in the cron that will scan the server for rapidleech installations & then suspend & email the server administrator of the offending account. It's a work in progress & I don't have any release dates planned yet.

I understand what your saying, but the OP did not even mention CPU. He made it sound like it sucked all of his server bandwidth up. And if it doesn't bypass the WHM/Cpanel bandwidth metering, then the only reason it would have sucked all his bandwidth is if he was overselling to an extreme or offering unmetered packages ;).

Ah well, I suppose new hosts should learn that valuable lesson sooner rather then later.

I just spotted a account on my server using Rapidleech, terminated that. Then I found a account with iprober and I terminated that as well.

Pay attention to your clients, check up on them once every day or two. Odds are more then half your clients are going to try screwing you over if its free hosting.

So far, in our first month we have had just around 116 signups. All free of course.. guess how many are left/active?. 19. You really, really need to make sure you watch your clients account like a hawk.

Well it does eat up space like crazy and bandwidth, but it can't bypass the quotas so if you offer 500 GB of diskspace, guess where Rapidleech will no longer work. 500 GB. That's why if you extremely oversell or offer "unlimited/unmetered", you MUST keep a close eye because who knows how fast your server could fill up. But it eats server CPU & RAM like I eat my lunch.

Well it does eat up space like crazy and bandwidth, but it can't bypass the quotas so if you offer 500 GB of diskspace, guess where Rapidleech will no longer work. 500 GB. That's why if you extremely oversell or offer "unlimited/unmetered", you MUST keep a close eye because who knows how fast your server could fill up. But it eats server CPU & RAM like I eat my lunch.

Lies. You can not eat your lunch that fast!.

Back