• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Ram

Cagez

Whats the difference between the different types of ram? Theres DDR, SDR or something --?

My computer is DDR I think, my friend says I have the best type.

SDR = Single Data Rate, processes only 1 memory request at a time, commonly refered to SDRAM.

DDR = Double Data Rate, processes 2 memory requests at a time which makes it faster and higher performing.

RDRAM or RIMM = RAMBUS In-Line Memory Module, low latency, relatively high performing ram(faster than SDR, slower than DDR, but latency is incredible).

Well you can't mix SDR with DDR, or RDRAM with neither.

So whatever your motherboard supports, use that.

I know you cant mix, figured that out earlier today ;)

But if your on the market, look for a mobo with DDR, right?

Depends what combination of hardware your going to use.

If your going to use a P4(Northwood), get RDRAM(or PC3500 DDR RAM). If your going the AMD way, PC2700+ DDR is good enough.

Daniel. PC 3500 is also good for AMD. When I replace my PC-2700 with PC-3500 and set the RAM to run at 400Mhz rather that 266, there was a significat differance (a 34% boost in 3Dmark 2001 SE and a 21% boost in PCmark 2002)

Originally posted by tandoc
so its SDR RAM not SDRAM like all the n00b computer companies call it

Uhhh no.
It's SDR SDRAM, just like DDR SDRAM.

Daniel. PC 3500 is also good for AMD. When I replace my PC-2700 with PC-3500 and set the RAM to run at 400Mhz rather that 266, there was a significat differance (a 34% boost in 3Dmark 2001 SE and a 21% boost in PCmark 2002)

Yes I know, but 2700 is the bare minimum, plus it'll be better if your processor and RAM speed are synced.

Got one more question, what does "PC-2700" and stuff mean? Does it matter which I get? Do I need a certain kind for my computer, if so, how do I find out which one I need?

what does "PC-2700" and stuff mean
the 2700 means it can transfer 2.7GBps of data.

Does it matter which I get
Yes, make sure the ram operates at the same, or higher FSB as the CPU.

Do I need a certain kind for my computer, if so, how do I find out which one I need?
Well, you neer either sdr sdram, ddr sdram or rd ram. You will have to consult your mainboard manual to see which your mainboard runs.

Originally posted by dawizman

Yes, make sure the ram operates at the same, or higher FSB as the CPU.

Lets say one has a AMD Athlon 2000+ at 133fsb(266). It would be completely useless to have RAM running at 333mhz(PC2700) as you won't notice any performance gain whatsoever.

Thanks guys :)

How do I know my CPU FSB so I can get the right type of ram? Sorry for my n00bish questions :eek:

Yes it is.

So basically, PC3500 would be optimal for you, but is very costly.

PC2100 would be good too...

Back