• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

RAM vs CPU

Amaresh

I wanted to purchase a server for hosting proxies (PHProxy) and I was wondering which one of RAM or CPU is most utilised by the proxy script?

Obviously the RAM shouldnt be a bottleneck for the CPU and vice-versa, but what would you advise to go for ?

Say, would an Athlon (lower end cpu) work well with 2GB ram, or would a dual xeon with 1gb ram be better ?

Thanks

I would go with Dual Xeon, as it is much better than the low end Athlon and the processor is much better in performance and reliability. But, it would really depend how many proxies are hosted, and how much resources they take up. So if your not expecting to go really big in proxies (and alot of them consuming massive resources) then go with the Dual Xeon with 1 GB of ram. It will again, give reliable speeds and it will be a better environment to host proxies but 2 GB of ram would be useful in the future.

Last edited:
Really depends on how many you intend to host per server, but I would advise isolating them on VPS/VDS accounts.

So in that light work out the CPU/RAM for each (keep RAM at 512M max to allow for OS and usage) then cost it - so you will need a large server dual/dual duo plus 4-8G RAM and that should cope with about 25 max clients for proxy.

In other words expensive - but just guessing what you would be providing :)

With out CPU we would not be taking right now -.- With out memory we also would not be talking, It is like asking food or water. We need both for it to wrok so yea, this is pointless

With out CPU we would not be taking right now -.- With out memory we also would not be talking, It is like asking food or water. We need both for it to wrok so yea, this is pointless
Um ok, yeah. Whatever you say dude.
@ OP I would go with the dual Xeon. If you need more RAM in the future it is pretty easy to add some.

You No Understand Engrish?
:eek2:
Hes asking how much CPU & ram is needed for proxys and what a proxy system will use more of CPU or RAM so he dont buy to much of anything:fangel:

Back