• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

RAID5 and controller failure - What happened a Hostony??

JodoHost

We recently set up 3 new Dual XEON servers with a 73GBx3 SCSI RAID5 configuration. We are using an adaptec raid5 controller with 48MB ECC memory (I believe)

I was reading over at HostOny's forum that they had a RAID5 controller failure which caused there data to be corrupted across all 3 hard drives. I do not understand how this is possible. My understanding is that the ECC memory would prevent any corrupt data from being written to the disks and all data would be recoverable once you replace the card with the same model

Any thoughts on the reliability of RAID5? We mostly use RAID1 but are trying RAID5 for better performance (in terms of throughput via datastripping) and higher hard-drive capacity.

Also, a RAID5 configuration can take one hard-disk failure if I'm correct. Is there any sort of data degradation when the failed disk is replaced and the controller starts rebuilding the drive?

http://forum.hostony.com/index.php?showtopic=1302&st=0&hl=raid5

Did they do something wrong, is this sort of corruption is possible? Although we keep backups even for servers with RAID configuration, recovering a server from backup takes a few hours which in most cases is not tolerable to customers.

Back