• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

RackShack

i want to get a rackshack server are they easy to use,
like do you need to know stuff to use it? cause I am a newbie on servers, i won't know how to install mysql, perl or php, do they have all that set up for you?

Last edited:
Originally posted by Johnny
do they have all that set up for you?
No, and they're not going to help you install it for you either. They supply the hardware and nothing more.

If you're a real n00b, get a managed box.

i want to get a rackshack server are they easy to use,
like do you need to know stuff to use it? cause I am a newbie on servers, i won't know how to install mysql, perl or php, do they have all that set up for you?

If you don't know what your doing, its not a good idea. RS will not hold your hand and guide you through anything. Get a few books on Linux command administration and when you feel comfy get it going. Maybe even install redhat on a local box there to help get a feel. Otherwise, nocster.com provide managed servers for cheap, tho they have been having a few network issues lately.

Well at rackshack it is pretty easy to manage. I mean if you don' t use your own nameservers just using there's you just gota be able to use a control panel.... Its pretty easy... Mind you when problems arise you will need to know how to fix them yourself RS have a tendincy to just say Restore the box meaning you lose the data.

Its not realy that hard but your better just setting up a small box at home and seeing how it goes. Learn some telnet commands and learn a little about linux and you should be ok.

RS servers come with sql/php/perl/ all that stuff installed. It comes with the control panel but if you plan to do some advanced stuff its horrible trying to edit the server. If you just want it for some of your own sites its ok.

Originally posted by 9cy

RS servers come with sql/php/perl/ all that stuff installed. It comes with the control panel but if you plan to do some advanced stuff its horrible trying to edit the server. If you just want it for some of your own sites its ok.

others say they just give you the hardware? who is telling it correctly? cause I am hearing 2 stories.

others say they just give you the hardware? who is telling it correctly? cause I am hearing 2 stories.

They give you the hardware and they install linux and apache with the other things. But if you wish to say, run a dns server, irc server, etc. you'd have to do them manually.

They just have a mirror server.. and install it as one package with the cp or standard install... thats it

If you screw you apache.... and you don't know any SSH... you'd have to have a Restore ... because they wont fix it for you !

Restores cost about $49 i think :confused:

If you're afraid to screw things up, get a server with fdcservers.net. They'll do as many server restores as you want free of charge. Their network seems to have improved lately (my server connection is once again fast, after they took their network down for 12 hours for maintainance). Their support response time has gotten a little slow as they have experienced a rapid growth, though. I hope this will be the next issue they will address.

RS can be good and can be bad as far as support is concerned. It just depends on who's email address you have on the inside. Indeed they mostly seem to suggest restores for the smallest problems, but some of their techs do know what they are talking about and are willing to help, it's just a matter of managing to get in touch with these 'diamonds in the rough' (this is not talking from personal experience, just from reading many post on a few hosting forums).

Ideal for you would be a managed or semi-managed server with a company that is willing to invest some time into educating you on server management if you want this for commercial use.

Just my 2 cents.

Depends there not realy alot you can screw up with apache if you leave it alone.... FDC is a decent company if your not bothered about down time... I know there cogent connection has been solid but they only have one ISP compared to RS's multiple connections. FDC if I remember correctly don't give you anything in the install either just linux which for a first timer isn't the best alough a friend of mine did it without much bother just using RPM's just depends.....

If you want to have a go at trying to setup aload of stuff then FDC would be good enough but rackshack has everything installed and ready to go as long as you don't need any custom config's you shouldn't ever have a problem.

Hay if i buy a RC server in an idea for start a paid host, do i need a good skills?
I mean if i resell as 100Mb, 200Mb shared hosting do i need to do any big tech stuff?
Pl be discriptive...

Originally posted by DJkC
do i need a good skills?
Yes. Would you open up an auto repair shop without the slightest knowledge of how to fix cars? If not, then start off reselling for a host who does know how to run servers while you learn.

Originally posted by DJkC
Hay if i buy a RC server in an idea for start a paid host, do i need a good skills?
I mean if i resell as 100Mb, 200Mb shared hosting do i need to do any big tech stuff?
Pl be discriptive...

You'll need a good idea how Linux works and how to install webserver applications and shell.

Otherwise, when your server goes down, the only legitimate excuse is that "theres something wrong with the server and I can't fix it, getting a tech from RS to fix it for me".

Rackspace are crap, upload/download speeds are crap. They have shit support. You have to use the bandwidth within their terms. Which limits you in some respects.

Don't be a mug, shop around.

Rackspace?When did they come into it?;)
As for RackShack,their servers are great,even if their support isn't the best the community is.

Just to clear up the confusion... I have a server from RackShack. They supply different sized servers in one of three flavours (oh, and Cobalt RaQs also). These include a plain RedHat box, an Ensim box, and a Plesk box.

The Ensim box (which I use) comes complete with Apache, PHP, Perl, BIND, FTP, SSH, etc., etc, it's a complete webapplicance.

I've had no problems with them and service has been quick and friendly, they also have a great self-help suppport community via their forums.

If you are looking for an umanaged dedicated server you will find it hard (if not impossible) to find a better deal that $99 a month. -- If you do find a better deal then let me know.

Back