• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Question from a friend

Pimpin Monkey

Alright, my friends gf (and a poster on my site) is having some computer problems and I'm not good in the hardware department. She has a computer with a 20gb hard drive but she say's its only running 2gb. Does anyone know why this is and how to fix it?

Thanks..

Sounds like it is formatted in fat which has a 2gb max size Fat 32 has a 32gb max size but you can use more with it now and ntfs is like 4 terabytes or something

It's 20 gigs, but is only using 3 gigs for memory, how do i increase the memory to the full 20? i know you can since my brother and his friend were messing around on it after we had it installed and managed to increase it to the full 20.

It should be recognized as 20 gigs in the first place (assuming you are the person with the problem) and it is not called memory, memory is different from HDD space

Originally posted by guitarnerd
It should be recognized as 20 gigs in the first place (assuming you are the person with the problem) and it is not called memory, memory is different from HDD space

Maybe he set it so that he can use the 20gb as virtual memory.

Yeah it can very likely be unpartitioned space. Actually I bet that is quite piossibly what it is. What does it say the size is in start up?

virtual memory is bad...lol...not really but it uses space on your hard drive to make more "ram" but your hard drive is slower than a stick of ram so therefore the virtual memory is slower.

Well let's say you have 128mb pc133 ram now that is faster than your hard drive but are you trying to say it is better to make less virtual memory than more? If so you are wrong that is not at all true

Virtual RAM goooddd...well if you're running Windows 2000 anyway...

If you're running Win9x, try using fdisk to check, I think it's included, haven't used the old Windows' in a while. :confused:

Back