• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Question for people in/went to college

What should I do?

• Build a KICKAS.S PC

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Build an OK PC and buy an OK Laptop

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Buy a KICKAS.S Laptop

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

el crapo

Hey, I'm in the process of building a new system and I realized that I'm gonna hafta take this to college, and then I came to realize that a laptop maybe helpful. I'm kinda in a rut, I've got a $2500US budget no matter what. I could:

A) Build a kickas.s PC
B) Build an OK PC and buy an OK Laptop
C) Buy a kickas.s laptop

What do I do? :confused:

Spend about 1750$ on your pc and about 750$ on your lappy.
What will you use your lapp for?
Internet? Word? Excel? Visual Studio? Email? and stuff like that.

You might want to check de dell inspiron 8000 series. Neat :)

And build yourself a pc for 1750$, should be more then enough imo.

Yea, thats the problem. I'm not sure if I would use the laptop a lot or not. I prob wouldnt use it for anything other than WebSurfing, Email, Writing Papers and other school stuff, and maybe some occassional solitaire, but I'm not sure. Maybe when I get into college, I might use it a lot more than I expected, I need an opinion of someone who's been there and done that.

Do you really think I could get a Laptop for $750?

i say get a pc as laptops are cramped, easy to steal, harder to fix, more pricey.

If it's for school stuff, then I may suggest this one:

Toshiba portege 7020CT

Very thin, light, sexy alluminium body, p2 366, 192ram, 6-8gb hd, 13.3 screen.

for about 350$ you could get one easily.

Personally, what I'd do is buy this toshiba, get a pc for about 1k and save up the rest.

I've learned that investing in computers is non sense.
My dell was bought for 5100$ and I sold it for 700$ 4-5 years later. Waste of $$$

laptop = max 350
compu = max 1000
$ left = 1150 <- can be saved up in bank account or invested somewhere else.

Originally posted by VLC
i say get a pc as laptops are cramped, easy to steal, harder to fix, more pricey.
But more conveniant.

In college you may have a 4hour break between 2 classes.
What do you do? Sit in the hall and watch ppl pass by?
No, you take out your neat little laptop and you start doing an assignment that is due next semester foe example.

I have a laptop that I spent about $1250 CAD for and it was the biggest waste of money...ever.

It just sits at home, does nothing really. Comes in handy for some wardriving, though.

Originally posted by Daniel
I have a laptop that I spent about $1250 CAD for and it was the biggest waste of money...ever.

It just sits at home, does nothing really. Comes in handy for some wardriving, though.
Your is home.
El Crapo wanted to take his to school.

Thats why I dont recommend spening alot on a laptop.
You'll just use a few hours per week, but just that will speed up your assignment writing. And in my oppinion, thats a good thing.

OK, from someone in the same boat as you, I say you absolutely have to go with the laptop. I'm assuming you're going to at least use it osme of the time for schooling (or at least you should be, you lazy bastard :p), and you can't exactly cart a PC from class to class.

kickass pc for sure.

depending on what you're taking a laptop isn't really all that useful. Better off just to keep your files on disk and use a compuer lab at the college.

Buy a perfectly fine and more than useful laptop for $1250, and use the other half on other shit you might actually need.

As for saying laptops are a waste of money, they're incredibly useful I've found... I use mine more than my desktop system now... and it's not even as powerful as it.

The answer is simple. Get a kickass laptop that supports a docking station or a port replicator. This is what I have now....and I used to be against laptops. I have a Compaq Evo. When I am at home, I simply set it on the port replicator and use my normal desktop monitor, keyboard, mouse, cable modem, etc, etc. At that point, it's just as good as a normal desktop. Well it's better than a desktop since it's a bit difficult to port a desktop pc around with you..LOL. For the record, Compaq desktops suck majorly...but they made some pretty bad azzed laptops...the Evo series being some of them.

Here's a port replicator for a Sony Vaio
http://shop3.outpost.com/product/3336552#detailed

You dont want a vaio though...screen's too small. Here's the Evo Series I currently have.
http://h20022.www2.hp.com/busprod/o...01,00.html?lsidebarLayId=106&rsidebarLayId=63

A laptop that becomes a desktop by using a port replicator....no desktop can come close to what you can do with a laptop nowdays. The downside though is as someone said earlier.....they arent as flexible to upgrades, and are more expensive to do so. And no I didnt pay that price for it, I paid $599 on Ebay....and I think $26 for the port replicator.

Last edited:
See... a kickass pc is mandatory. Gaming on a notebook is not good.

So my advice to you: spend around $800 on a notebook from someplace like http://compgeeks.com You can find some pretty sweet deals there.

And then you'll still have ~$1700 for a great PC.

Hello all, thanks for all the advice. You guys make some good points. I'm gonna wait until April to find out if I got into Stevens Institute of Tech. first, because they give incoming freshmen new laptops for free; and you can buy it off them if you want to when you graduate.

If I do get in, a KICKAS.S PC for me
If I don't get in, I think I'm going to work my butt off and get a damn good pc & an OK laptop.

Any other suggestions/input are welcome.

Originally posted by el crapo
Hello all, thanks for all the advice. You guys make some good points. I'm gonna wait until April to find out if I got into Stevens Institute of Tech. first, because they give incoming freshmen new laptops for free; and you can buy it off them if you want to when you graduate.
how much is the tuition per year?

Originally posted by Wojtek
Your is home.
El Crapo wanted to take his to school.

Thats why I dont recommend spening alot on a laptop.
You'll just use a few hours per week, but just that will speed up your assignment writing. And in my oppinion, thats a good thing.

Uhhhh...I do go to school during the day, you know.

Back