• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Proxy server requirements

ingfina

Hi Guys and Gals,

a client of ours want to set up a proxy server. Not on a reseller account or VPS, a fully dedicated server for the proxy.

We have never had a proxy server in our network and have a few questions (please answer only if you have experience):

What is a good setup, CPU and RAM-wise?
What proxy script do you recommend? (Does it perform better than....?)
What about bandwidth? Is the standard 2TB/mo enough or is it better to go with an unmetered 10mbit?
What log files do you keep? Legal issues?
We may have forgotten things...

The proxy will get quite a bit of traffic - it will be featured as an affilliate on a popular 'free stuff' site.

Thank you for your input.

I'd reccomend a P4 2.4gHz or similliar, 1GB RAM, lots of bandwidth most likly. If you are looking to purchase a server, add me on MSN or AIM, or PM me.

Thanks,

-Mark

utcrazy said:
If you are looking to purchase a server, add me on MSN or AIM, or PM me.
Mark thank you. We are not looking to purchase a server.
(I thought this forum is the appropriate one, if not - mods please move it.)

Make sure you have a decent disclaimer. Otherwise people could sue you for what users do or users could sue you because you were logging their info.

I would recommend a CGI proxy as it uses up less resources (or so i've heard).

Bandwidth, 2TB in theory should be enough but its safer to go on the unmetered, if its about the same price.

T.M. said:
I would recommend a CGI proxy as it uses up less resources (or so i've heard).

Bandwidth, 2TB in theory should be enough but its safer to go on the unmetered, if its about the same price.
Interesting, I heard the opposite about CGI proxys (at least for a few of those).

Bandwidth could be the same price - but not the same quality.

Thanks.

ingfina said:
Interesting, I heard the opposite about CGI proxys (at least for a few of those).

Bandwidth could be the same price - but not the same quality.

Thanks.
Haha! all cgi proxy take the same bandwidth same resources. Because every one just pass all the data through your server :)

Regards

Yup, it's true.
I used all my available bandwidth within 7 days before changing to unmetered.

talence said:
Haha! all cgi proxy take the same bandwidth same resources. Because every one just pass all the data through your server :)

Regards

Back