• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Providing the sub-sub reseller feature.

clubhost

Hi

I would like to take your opinion about encouraging the feature of sub-sub resellers.

As you know that in WHM, by default only root user can create reseller accounts. But there are packages and tools like WHMreseller, which allows resellers to create sub-reseller accounts under them.

Do you think this feature helps you gain more customers and at the same time risks your server for high load because greater the number of users on your server, the more load the server gets.

Your thoughts?

I've gotten some people who have requested that feature over the years. Alpha resellers, master resellers, or whatever you want to call it. I've put consideration into allowing it, but have always decided against it in the end.

It really seems to be counter productive, at least to me, for resellers to be creating other resellers. It just creates too many links in the chain. I feel that if somebody wants the ability to create resellers under them, they should be on their own server, or at least a VPS at minimum. By allowing resellers to create resellers in a shared environment, it feel that it's just a recepie for disaster as you know these people will be overselling the piss out of the server.

Last edited:
I've gotten some people who have requested that feature over the years. Alpha resellers, master resellers, or whatever you want to call it. I've put consideration into allowing it, but have always decided against it in the end.

It really seems to be counter productive, at least to me, for resellers to be creating other resellers. It just creates too many links in the chain. I feel that if somebody wants the ability to create resellers under them, they should be on their own server, or at least a VPS at minimum. By allowing resellers to create resellers in a shared environment, it feel that it's just a recepie for distaster as you know these people will be overselling the piss out of the server.

And besides overselling, you never know what type of customers your sub-sub reseller would host. And in some cases you might get into trouble if a sub-sub reseller's customer is hosting an illegal site or warez software.

And besides overselling, you never know what type of customers your sub-sub reseller would host. And in some cases you might get into trouble if a sub-sub reseller's customer is hosting an illegal site or warez software.

If your the root seller you should still be monitoring the activity anyway, it would be your client so no pushing that off on the grounds they resold to someone.

Still your responsibility.

And there it gets messy.

Don't consider it!! Ever!! ha ha!

The reasons everyone mentioned are exactly why I can't stand Super Alpha Bravo Omega Reseller plans. It's just impossible to run your server properly. Aside form that, and speaking from experience, I had two clients in the same month, coincidentally, wanting to transfer to me (VPS) from their ridiculously-overloaded master reseller plans. We put probably 100 man hours into trying to accomplish the transfer. The permissions and such were so, so screwed up. We consulted the alpha reseller software folk, forums, everything you can think of, and there was no way to make the transfer easily.

Everyone first had to have the permissions and ownership stuff completely stripped. We then had to transfer the permissions for each individual account back to the main owner's account. From there, we could transfer the individual accounts to the new WHM on the VPS, but then had to rebuild every single reseller account, and sign the sub-accounts to each reseller manually...one by freakin' one.

Never again...

I think wswd is absolutely correct. Just for the sake of making a few hundred dollars, i would never let my existing customer suffer.

I think if someone is interested in alpha-reseller hosting, they should get their own VPS and install whatever they wish without jeopardizing the existing customers.

It's a great feature to have your resellers sell sub reseller accounts however only if you can manage it in a effective way. All you can do is set restrictions on your resellers such as disk space, bandwidth and the amount of sub reseller accounts they can create. This way you'd be able to manage your server and the resources being used.

Back