• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Problem with Drive Names...

nightcrawler

Currently my system is running under Windows Me. When i format a logical drive in dos and give a label "NightCrawler" (Observe the cases), when i return to Windows ME and open MyComputer, what i see as the drive label is "NIGHTCRAWLER".

Even if i rename the drive label to "NightCrawler" in windows Me, It shows the new label (As it is in case) for a while and it returns to "NIGHTCRAWLER". How do i fix it?:confused2 :confused2 :confused2

i dont think you can.... im pretty sure thats a automatic thing... not sure though... havnt played around with drive labes in windows in awhile

theres nothing you can do, its all a dos thing. Back in the day, when you did 'dir c:' for example it would show the drive name in bold so you wouldn't get confused in thinking it was a directory or something.
Probably the last rememants you can see of dos today in windows :cool:

Yes it does happen to me too. Do this: Rename it to another drive, then rename it back to NightCrawler. In the My Computer window, it should show up correctly, but not in Open/Save windows etc. To solve this, you have to open up the open/save dialog for every window, then restart, problems for these windows should be solved...

Originally posted by trenzterra
Yes it does happen to me too. Do this: Rename it to another drive, then rename it back to NightCrawler. In the My Computer window, it should show up correctly, but not in Open/Save windows etc. To solve this, you have to open up the open/save dialog for every window, then restart, problems for these windows should be solved...

It worked! Thnx for help trenzterra.:) :)

FAT/FAT32 doesn't differentiate between lower or upper case filenames for short names which apparantly includes a drive's label so I think you're out of luck getting that to work.

Back