• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Practical Uses for PHP?

conkermaniac

VIP
NLC
I was just wondering - is PHP really that useful and practical without the benefits of a database? I can really only see PHP alone being used for e-mail forms and banner rotators. I know that PHP can also be used for, say, calculations, but usually, those types of scripts are more suitable for client-side scripting.

website templates

little dbz fans makin their sites look 'cool' by using the same script over and over again

Oh yeah, you guys are right! I totally forgot about using PHP for templates. :)

As for the date, using a client-side language is an even better choice. :confused2

Actually, I just looked at some ad-management tools, and all of them require MySQL (for advanced stat-tracking, perhaps?). So obviously, one could only create a very crude banner system using PHP alone.

On the other hand, I've realized that PHP can be pretty good for making basic quizzes (but not surveys or quizzes w/ tracking). :)

of course you are wrong about that. PHP can make flatfile databases. Meaning textfiles or the such to store information. It can also be used for signups and surveys and can store the information in text files or email it to the webmaster. If you work with php long enought the question becomes what can't you do with PHP?

PHP does what HTML can't. If you don't need PHP for this and that, then you don't need PHP.

Originally posted by conkermaniac
So you still can't do much using PHP alone without a flat-file database.
You can't do much using any other langauge either...

I'd say the biggest thing is just dynamic content with cookies, sessions etc.

> So you still can't do much using PHP alone
> without a flat-file database.

Yea, so I won't bother telling you about php-GTK.

But, yeah, i'm thinking php does have a limited number of logical applications outside of dynamic content generation. Nevermind it's easy ability to process text, making it great for working with sockets.

Originally posted by spec
If you work with php long enought the question becomes what can't you do with PHP?

Answer: Find eternal happiness. (though I'm currently working on a script to do this, as well as bring you breakfast in bed, mow your lawn, and keep your daughter from taking money from your wallet.)

Originally posted by NukedWeb
(though I'm currently working on a script to do this, as well as bring you breakfast in bed, mow your lawn, and keep your daughter from taking money from your wallet.)
Oh damn, I thought I was the only person trying to make this... :p :D

And AlieXai, perfect example!

We could collaborate our work, and make phpWorldPeace, with the optional addons truelove.php or wildsex.php (easily interchangeable). :D

Originally posted by raz0r
Yea but not everyone has javascript enabled ! php will work in all browsers.

Then it's just too bad for them. :D If they have turned off JavaScript, then it's their loss that things such as cookies aren't working. The only time I would use PHP to do such tasks is if it would become a benefit to the users if they just happened to have Javascript turned off. :p

Back