• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Powweb?

Jon.

I'm looking for a new host, and Powweb have been reccommended to me. Does anyone have any experience with them? I can't find anything other than a few reccommendations, so I was wondering if anyone has any experience and would like to share, that'd be great. The deal they're offering seems very good indeed, so it's tempting to just go for it and ask questions later. Still, it costs nothing to ask ;)

Smells like an overseller, looks like an overseller.... definatly *not* an overseller!

They've been around for awhile, and a club that I'm currently a member of, uses them for their services. But, personally, I like dealing with smaller companies, with more personal support.

I've just moved away from a ridiculously small host. Supposedly they have around 10 staff members, but really there's just one person chasing around to get everything done. It's fine until something breaks, and then it takes a whole lot longer than it should.

I don't really mind not having personal support. I'm past the point where I need help with everything - the main thing I'm looking for is hosting I can rely on.

Thanks for the help :)

I've just moved away from a ridiculously small host. Supposedly they have around 10 staff members, but really there's just one person chasing around to get everything done. It's fine until something breaks, and then it takes a whole lot longer than it should.

I don't really mind not having personal support. I'm past the point where I need help with everything - the main thing I'm looking for is hosting I can rely on.

Thanks for the help :)

As they say size isn't everything :lol:
If your host was lying about staff then okay good reason to move - but here's a bit you may have missed on powweb, talking about bending the truth (edited down to remove prices and such - from their 'products' link)

Web Address (YourName.com)* FREE
One Year Free if you sign up for one year of hosting
Two Years free if you sign up for two years of hosting
Well big company says you get 'YourName.com' free, what if it's not available?? So another bending of the truth maybe.

That and the more important fact they state RAID disk space, not SAN space for 40Gb per customer. Say 6 clients per server @ around $35/month all in - doubt it. Totally unfeasable.

At least the other co. is chasing around trying :)

Powweb is an old school host and they're not going to be surprised by any problems you might run into. Sure, you might not be able to talk directly to the CEO like you would with smaller hosting companies, but at least you know they've got some experience under their belt.

As they say size isn't everything :lol:
If your host was lying about staff then okay good reason to move - but here's a bit you may have missed on powweb, talking about bending the truth (edited down to remove prices and such - from their 'products' link)

Web Address (YourName.com)* FREE
One Year Free if you sign up for one year of hosting
Two Years free if you sign up for two years of hosting

Well big company says you get 'YourName.com' free, what if it's not available?? So another bending of the truth maybe.

That and the more important fact they state RAID disk space, not SAN space for 40Gb per customer. Say 6 clients per server @ around $35/month all in - doubt it. Totally unfeasable.

At least the other co. is chasing around trying :)

Well not technically lying, since there used to be quite a few staff, but I haven't seen them online for yonks.

I don't doubt that Powweb are truth benders (haha, I'm funny...) to a degree. I'm not even touching the domain offer because I know it'll be horribly expensive to renew.

What worries me, is reading through their horribly long TOS, it repeatedly makes sure I know that they do not make daily backups, and that I won't have a backup of my site if their server explodes. Fair enough, if they hadn't told me that they make daily backups (4th point down):

pow_home_pic9.jpg

It's not putting me off...much, but it's just a little disconcerting.

Last edited:
That's something you have to decide. They definitely oversell though.

Send them some pre-sales questions, see how the respond. This is something you should do before ever choosing a host.

yea i have a firend who had him and he said they used to be a great service company, but since they got bought out he got screwed over with his service. just a thought.

if you really need good hosting i can offer you some, but i don't have that much space. Max i can offer you like guarantee because i never oversell is 10GB of space and 500GB of bandwidth or more for about 12 bucks a month. pm me for more details if you want.

but again powweb used to be great. here are some sites to stay away from

Siteground (i used them, they suck and have old servers)
1and1 hosting (my friend still thinks they only stuff 5 people per server, LOL)
Lunar Host (bleh)
Hostmonster(ok><)

and some other i forgot, but all these big corporations OVERSELL LIKE MAD

Yeah, that's my main worry - if it seems too good to be true, it is.

I don't need that much space. I really only need about 10 or 15gb for the same (or preferably less) than what I'm paying now. I'm still looking around really, and one interesting host that's popped up is Lunarpages (not lunarhost, or are they twins?). Again, it's pretty obviously overselling, but they seem to have reasonable reviews from places.

What I really need is a basic host with decent uptime, a decent number of staff and around 10gb of space for around $100 a year. No overselling, plenty of mysql databases and no customized control panel. Cpanel is what I'm used to, and I want to keep it that way.

Basically, my site is pretty small. I find it hard to use 5gb of bandwidth over 2 months, let alone 1 day. I'm never going to use anything near 40gb of space, but I'd like to be able to really fill up my gallery and upload near enough whatever. If I had serious needs, I'd be willing to pay for a server :p

Last edited:
I'm looking for a new host, and Powweb have been reccommended to me. Does anyone have any experience with them? I can't find anything other than a few reccommendations, so I was wondering if anyone has any experience and would like to share, that'd be great. The deal they're offering seems very good indeed, so it's tempting to just go for it and ask questions later. Still, it costs nothing to ask ;)

hi, its a PR8 website. and established since 1999. go for it. not to worry.:angel:

Back