• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

pop-up sponsor companies

Weapon

NLC
NLC
Well since most pop-up sponsor companies only count hits from the same ip every "*" amount of hours, do you think it will be ok if I put a javascipt on my code to make it pop up once every "*" amount of time so that visitors would only be hit with one pop-up?

generally any popup sponsor that pays for only one popup every x hours will make it popup only every x hours. If not, you should get a different sponsor... Pretty sure a javascript like that would be against any agreement (they could claim you were tampering with it).

Either way, the only sure way is to ask the sponsor...

PopupTraffic loads by default every time the page is viewed. They do provide javascripts which will make it load only once every 12 hours though.

If you know how to deal with cookies and have a couple DIFFERENT pop companies, you could set up a cookie that recorded which popups had been shown that day to that user. You would simply output the code for your highest paying sponsor, and add a boolean variable to the popup counter cookie that that had been shown. The next time a user visits your page, teh code would check to see if the highest popup has been shown. If it did, it would continue checking through the rest until it either found a usable popup or went through the whole. All you would have to do is set the cookie to expire in 12 hours.

Of course, you would have to get prior consent from your pop companies, because you would need to edit their code to choose which code is shown at a time.

Anybody tried this before?

you could do all of that in PHP without having to modify any sponsor code at all. Heck, you wouldn't even need consent, since this is pretty close to an ad rotator (but it's not...)

Cheap Bastard, you're entirly correct, but not many people have server side scripting capabilities, so I wanted to reach a broader crowd. In the case that you DO have SSS capabilities, that require need to change in code or permission in advance, thus making it the best way to go.

Its simple php just add this file as an iframe to your pages. It loads once per session its very simple and works and I know iframes dont work with all netscape but then again thats not many users realy.

<? if (!isset($popup_code_pt)) {
setcookie("popup_code_pt","true",0,"/");
echo('enter you code from popup company here');
}?>

Originally posted by StickSuicideDotCom
Cheap Bastard, you're entirly correct, but not many people have server side scripting capabilities, so I wanted to reach a broader crowd. In the case that you DO have SSS capabilities, that require need to change in code or permission in advance, thus making it the best way to go.
... what are you talking about, SSS. All you need is PHP and the ability to code PHP. You don't even need a database. The only drawback is when a user disables cookies, which doesn't really happen a lot since if you disable cookies you can't use many of the bulletin boards, or any online email service.

Back